Polini Contessa BBK for 2000 Dio questions

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

DeanP
Spree
Spree

Polini Contessa BBK for 2000 Dio questions

Post by DeanP »

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding this kit. I own a 2000 Dio (Canadian sk50 AF18)and I'm kinda giving up trying to get my cheap 50cc kit to work with all of the soft seizing, so I'm looking at changing it out with a BBK.
Through looking at different sites, it appears that this kit comes with a main jet for the stock carb. Is this jet adequate for the kit if I use my stock carb/muffler? Or do I need to get another size? Will the stock air filter be ok or do I need to mod that?

I want to get the engine running well and broken in before I do anything else such as gearing for speed.
Thanks in advance for your input
Wheelman-111

Re: Polini Contessa BBK for 2000 Dio questions

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Contesta Iron cylinder is a trouble-free swap with your 50cc cylinder. Stock pipe and carb with airbox should be fine, but you will need a bit larger main jet and perhaps a 1% oil mix in the tank along with the stock pump. Someone on here - sorry I forget who it is - has run a Corsa to over 100KPH using stock intake and pipe. Look for at least 80KPH with the softer-tuned Countess.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bigreed
Goped
Goped

Post by bigreed »

Ive greatly enjoyed the airsal aluminum kit. Scooter swap shop has them for 125$ even comes with an aggressive variator ramp plate and some weights to play with.
99 Elite 50S GPS coming soon 9520rpm
|Airsal|Scorpion|Arreche|Uni|outerwear|ncy|8.4|TrailTech

87 elite 50 S :-D
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

After reading d*** near every thread on here I went with the contessa as it seemed to be a great kit and a bolt and go kind of BBK that was reliable and well built. After just installing and running on my third tank I can say that you won't be disappointed with it. It will give you many options in the future to add on carbs and pipes in the future. I wasn't looking to go 60-70mph but to be able to cruise 45-50 anywhere I needed to go. At half throttle running it easy a few days ago had it hit 50 mph on flats easily. I can't wait to get it fully tuned and see what it can do. But rest assured if scooterswapshop sells it it gonna good stuff that Brandon tested himself.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

The Contesta Iron cylinder is a trouble-free swap with your 50cc cylinder. Stock pipe and carb with airbox should be fine, but you will need a bit larger main jet and perhaps a 1% oil mix in the tank along with the stock pump. Someone on here - sorry I forget who it is - has run a Corsa to over 100KPH using stock intake and pipe. Look for at least 80KPH with the softer-tuned Countess.
Will the main jet that comes with the kit be big enough or what # should I be looking for? I don't know what I have currently(stock). Where do I buy these jets?
And lastly, a 100:1 mixed fuel in the tank? That is how I understand you.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Rip_City_Spree wrote:After reading d*** near every thread on here I went with the contessa as it seemed to be a great kit and a bolt and go kind of BBK that was reliable and well built. After just installing and running on my third tank I can say that you won't be disappointed with it.
I'm going back to read a thread I saw that the guy used a stock carb,etc and just changed the jets. I think he had a similiar model to mine.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I got polini carb for mine so not sure on the jets. As I'm learning right now is that you will just have to keep trying different sizes till it runs right. And if you don't have a temp gauge Id get one.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

graphite9 wrote:I don't think the contessa will work on the af18. The af18 boost port is too big. Didn't work on my af18
Eeww! That is not good! What do you think I should use? Airsal?
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

NZHONDA has the contessa kit on a jap spec AF18 it was a perfect fit .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

New Zealand is a little ways away! lol
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

So I just stumbled upon another Canadian owner who was in the same spot as me. Here's his post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28820
Anyways, there was talk about the Malossi bbk, so maybe that's an option. He was asking about jets for his carb, but looks like he never got an answer. What size should a guy start with when the stock size is #78?
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

graphite9 wrote:
paulpauly7 wrote:NZHONDA has the contessa kit on a jap spec AF18 it was a perfect fit .

Maybe someone ported mine out to match the Tai kit, previously. Nothing but the Tai kit will fit my block. I bet that's what happened. I would Def be weary of the mhr. The meat on the outside of the boost port area is super thin compared to polini.
Hmmm? I got a response from the member who has the Malossi and he has 2000km and so far, so good. There is only a $20 difference between them, so it doesn't matter at this point. As long as they would both work. I live in Canada, so shipping is a concern for parts ($) and exchange rate!

My next concern would be the size of the main jet. How much should I up it? The other member went from 75 to 85, tried a 95, but too much. Settled at a 85. So should I try a 88 or 90??
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

I used 100 on the 50 mm Tai kit, 85 sounds reasonable with stock intake, exhaust and a contessa.
The malossi iron cylinder I have looks like the port timings are really low and will not produce great top end power, if any really. I'm going to get a Contessa for my stock carbed engine. I'm tired of spending so much time porting and tuning. This time I just want a stockish bike with better top end and good gas mileage. I ran out coming back from the mountain with my corsa and 24mm set up, and I had an extra 1 gal petrol can.
rboarderi
Goped
Goped

Post by rboarderi »

DeanP wrote:So I just stumbled upon another Canadian owner who was in the same spot as me. Here's his post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28820
Anyways, there was talk about the Malossi bbk, so maybe that's an option. He was asking about jets for his carb, but looks like he never got an answer. What size should a guy start with when the stock size is #78?
I upjetted to a 91 when I was running the Malossi cast bbk and a stock carb. Buy this drill set off Amazon and drill out your stock jet:

http://www.amazon.com/20pc-MICRO-DRILL- ... 000TY190C/

Use the #64 bit and drill it out. I tried to go larger than 91 and it just didn't work out, 91 seems to be perfect.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

I store that knowledge in my data bank! Thanks!