Easy question on gear change for a dio

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Easy question on gear change for a dio

Post by Elite-ist »

When putting the gear box back together how much and what kind of oil do you put in the gear box before sealing it back up? Does anyone have a link to good gear changing instructions that has this type of information to make sure I do it correctly?
Wheelman-111

Re: Easy question on gear change for a dio

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Factory Manual has pretty good instructions, and any parts vendor will have transmission diagrams so you don't misplace a thrust washer. The bolts that hold the case cover are of different lengths, so keep them in the correct position by using a cardboard punch-out to remember which goes where. Honda-san recommends using regular 10W-30 motor oil, 90 ccs or about 3 ounces. The drain plug is also the fill level with the scooter parked on level ground.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite-ist »

Thanks bro, that is exactly what I need to know. I'm getting the ol' dio registered and I am having to take off all my performance top speed upping mods.

Speaking of that you might have some wisdom to impart to me about something. I'm actually going to be selling the upgrade parts since I won't ( too scared these days ) be able to use them street legally on my registered "moped" ( if they caught me going over like 25-30mph on a public road I would get hit with like no motorcycle license, no insurance, bad/wrong title, bad/wrong registration, vehicle title fraud, motorcycle in bike lane, unapproved motorcycle helmet, emissions violations, ad nausium ) so I have to run pretty much stock ( at least for a few years muHahahah ). How easy do you think it would be to sell my 8:1 gears kit and variator upgrade kit? Do you have any idea how much lightly used ones are going for these days? I have been out of the elite loop lately. :(

Thanks for the quick reply!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I would keep the upgrades and use the throttle control to make sure you don't exceed the moped limits. There may be times when you can use the extra performance without risk of arrest.

Gears sell new for $50 or so. Italian variator sets are $99. New Tai kits less than half that. Used kits fetch still less, so keep it.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite-ist »

lol that is exactly what I wanted to do but my SO who also will be riding it is irrationally and uncompromisingly paranoid about the legality issues so I just gave in and agreed to put it back stock and sell the parts. :oops:

The "problem" is that it should not have even been able to ever be registered as a moped as even stock dio engines exceed the maximum moped hp by more than double. :nervous: It even had the listed base HP written out big as life on the title. Gotta love bored and clueless people at the DMV eh?

Oh and thanks again for all your help with my gear issue! If you look at my old posts when I was installing the new gears you can see the linked tech docs I used are all gone now otherwise I wouldn't have had to bother you. :)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

In this low-stress application, it's been my position that you could run Mazola in that gear case and probably not run into problems. Well, except maybe for dogs chasing that enticing Deep Fried aroma... Use whatever's left in the bottle from your last car oil change. 90 ccs is pretty to scrape out.
Wheelman-111
Dbroogs
Goped
Goped

Post by Dbroogs »

I too am putting in gears on a sa50. I am going the early Flash III route and sticking with all stock except punched tab airbox, new vari, and 9:1 gears, thanks for the inspiration Wheelman.

This will be the first time the transmission cover has ever come off the scoot. Should I go ahead and order a new gasket right away? I would like to save as much money as possible so if it might be intact I would rather wait.

Also, is there any technique to install the final gear without going to a shop and using a hydraulic press. Being a poor college student I want to save as much $$ as I can.

I have the 9g rollers that came with the vari from Taz, should I mess with new weights?

Lastly, the moped has around 4k miles on it, its a 96. Should I invest in a new center spring seeing as I'm putting new gears in?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first build and want it to go well.
'96 Elite (57MPH)
Malossi cast iron 72cc
Stock setup: 6g rollers, 90MJ
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

Order the gasket if it's never been off its not gonna come off clean.
Uless you have a press your self you will need to have it done, mine have never cost more then $10-$15 bucks. Your prolly gonna want something closer to 6g range for rollers but that's personal preference and I'd throw in a 1k center spring and maybe some 1k clutch springs as well as check your belt to make sure it's still good.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite-ist »

How do you put the oil in the gear housing? Do I just pour it in before I close it up and screw everything shut? Or do I put everything back together first and pour it into one of the external holes?
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

The drain plug is also the till hole. Put the scoot on a level surface and fill untill it starts flowing out and cap should be about 3oz.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite-ist »

curtis966 wrote:The drain plug is also the till hole. Put the scoot on a level surface and fill untill it starts flowing out and cap should be about 3oz.

:worship: