racing fuel

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

scootfast
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

racing fuel

Post by scootfast »

If I use racing fuel do I use leaded or unleaded for my scoot. I"m thinking unleaded because that's what I get from pump gas. Jim
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: racing fuel

Post by Trafficjamz »

You can use either one.

I have used 105 low lead from the track and it had no adverse effects.

highly oxygenated race fuels work the best.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Leaded fuel was band in the 70's, aviation fuel is only 94 octane, ethanol is your best bet.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Tha Aviation world reduced but didn't eliminate the tetraethyl lead content, hence the 100 "Low Lead" you can purchase today at your county airport for $5. a gallon. Not sure where Dog gets ethanol, but suspect it's from Jose. I mean Cuervo. Goes great in shotglasses, but no place for it in your scooter.

TE Lead makes less-refined gasoline burn more like more expensive stuff. Making 100 octane without lead would cost much more. The reason lead was banned is that it overheats the crystals and ruins catalytic converters, which are necessary to cut emissions. Since Sprees have no CCs, you can run leaded gas for higher octane in high compression builds, reducing risk of pre-ignition and Piston Perforation.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Uhhh, what? Vp has many many many many leaded fuels. They most certainly are not banned. They are for off road use only.
2 strokes run amazing on leaded fuel. But either is fine.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

A two stroke engine has no need for lead, nor are the deposits beneficial.
Racing fuel can be purchased with lead or without lead, it is readily available but supposed to be transferred into a fuel jug and not directly into a vehicle tank.
Octane and specific gravity are usually confused and misunderstood by most people.
You can google what lead does when it is burned, the chemical reaction that occurs and how it hardens valve seats on four stroke engines. You will then understand why old four stroke engines ( pre 1975 or so ) need leaded fuel for a period of time after the valve seats are resurfaced until they become hardened once again.
You can also google specific gravity, VP fuels used to have good info on their site.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

After running race fuel in my 2t for 22 years you IMAGINE I would have seen said deposits on a single one of my engines. Yet I have never ever seen a difference besides the plug looks better, engine runs coolers, you can run higher compression, lower jetting (which leads to LESS deposits), and I don't blow up race engines.
Facts and theory are fun in the real world we live in. Also specific gravity aside if we know all this pertinent information about fuel why do some people have such problems with jetting.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

100 octane low lead aviation fuel confirmed.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

maddog wrote:Leaded fuel was band in the 70's, aviation fuel is only 94 octane, ethanol is your best bet.
We don't need a confirmation from you. You're full of it on every level. You can thank us for informing you.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

codename47 wrote:
Trafficjamz wrote:You can use either one.

I have used 105 low lead from the track and it had no adverse effects.

highly oxygenated race fuels work the best.

wouldnt cold, fuel increase air? same amount of gas, colder.

heard ethanol free only, gas, and add some acetone will cool up your gas, and increase the amount of air. give you more hp and more mpg. added only to ethanol free gas.
Acetone will melt your rubber lines, eat up the float, and FYI gasoline and acetone do NOT mix. They WILL separate. I would stick with normal additives .