Need advice for my 84 Aero 50

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

MurderedAero
Noob
Noob

Need advice for my 84 Aero 50

Post by MurderedAero »

Hi everyone!

I have lurked around here a bit and haven't found all of the info I need for my 84' Aero 50.

Recently my bolts holding on my exhaust broke off and I was able to extract one, but I still have one left in there.

Instead of extracting the other one I just want to either get a kit or just do an engine swap.

Could someone direct me to a thread or provide me with the information I would need to kit my aero or do an engine swap.

Thanks in advance!
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Re: Need advice for my 84 Aero 50

Post by curtis966 »

Your only option would be to swap motors as they didn't make any bbks or any aftermarket parts for your motor. An af16 swap will be pretty much plug and play other then you may have to move the shock mount back a little bit and might have to do a little motor mount work. And if you've been reading you know that the af16 is expandable from 50cc-125cc and has all kinds or goodies available.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

How bad is the other stud that is left in there. If there is a stub at all it will come out if you heat the flange red hot and quench with water. Then re beat and while the flange is hot use locki pliers (vise grips) to lock on and twist it out. Heating and spraying with penetrant may also help. I've had to heat and spray a bunch to remove stubborn fasteners such as that. I remove a stuck broken exhaust stud on my original spree cylinder that way took an hour. I also ran my spree for a long time on only one exhaust stud. Not the best idea but if if you have no other option and its not leaking...
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

I have been drilling out other peoples broken studs for the last 40 years, I personally find it to be extremely easy, but then again I have done hundreds, probably over a thousand. My job requires it.
The most important part is center punching exactly on center and drilling exactly on center, never drill off center, never break a drill, never break a tap or easy out.
It would cost me nothing to drill and replace that stud, as I make studs from hardened bolts.
It would cost me hundreds to do a motor swap.
Check the support bolts that support the muffler, they are designed to take the stress off the studs, so the studs only have to keep the gasket tight, the support bolts are what hold the muffler on. I am guessing the muffler support bolts are missing or loose.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Well at least its sunny in sparta :crazy:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Johnniespeed you are the man! You are so spot on! The broken stud I had on my spree came from me not heating it and spraying it before I removed the nut the first time ;-) the only reason my spree was able to run with only one exhaust stud is just as you described how the mounting bolt for the exhaust take the stress off of the studs :-) I hate having to drill out a stud but if it won't come out by welding a nut on what are ya gonna do? Drill that thing out :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Maddog, Yes it is very sunny in Sparta about 90 degrees too, time to take the Polaris 780SLX to the lake, three Mikuni's and three cylinders of fuel sucking power. Wish my scooter had 95 horsepower. Wouldn't that perk up a Spree ? Stop over and I'll let you ride it.

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression, I am not opposed to an engine swap ( if you have the bucks ) , my point was..... that to get your scooter going wont cost much more than using your skills and your time.

I hope you don't think that a performance kit or an engine swap comes in a neat little box with instructions, video and an 800 number to call when there is problems. The guys who do the swapping are very knowledgeable guys who have years of experience and have learned by trial and error what works and what doesn't.

Some of those swaps end up being an unfinished project or a major money pit, with reliability issues.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Born and raised in N.Y. we rented 1000 cc artic cat snowmobiles, if your 84 aero has a metal cylinder shroud I would leave it stock and replace the front pulley, get a high speed fan + intake and a cht. PM me with your email so I can send you pics of builds :smile:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!