EFI - performance

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

EFI - performance

Post by deuce217 »

Guys I know this is a old topic but was wondering if anybody has been investing in more research toward these efi kits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzc8Ykm ... r_embedded

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/2_stro ... ction_kit/
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Re: EFI - performance

Post by deuce217 »

That makes sense. We small bore nerds typically cant support too much high end R&d due to budget restraints. Too bad rich people invest into lucrative markets instead of scooters!
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
superfast1234
BMX
BMX

Post by superfast1234 »

EFI is only for stock builds!
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Post by Pineapplegti »

Efi could be used on any build provided the fuel tables were adjustable.
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

I just went to check out their site. First off all, they are right down the street from my house. Actually 3.1 miles lol.

This is actually a pretty cool setup in the 2stroke option. II wouldn't think that tuning would be too much of an issue. I haven't read too much into the tuning software yet, but it would seem that once you get your initial maps set, the ecu *should* be able to make real time adjustments to your afr through map sensor and o2/exhaust temp sesnors.

A couple thoughts or concerns that I would have though are

You need to do some research on basic timing curves for these engines.

Without some sort of knock/detonation monitor, how can you increase or adjust spark for maximum power?

A wideband would really be needed for your base tune. That being said, I don't know enough about how o2 readings work in a 2stroke exhaust.

Once your write your default tune, the ecu must monitor afr from the exhaust using either an o2 sensor or exh temp. Will an o2 read correctly in 2stroke exhaust? If it will how long is that sensor going to function accurately or work at all for that matter while being stuck in a stream of oily exhaust?

You could run it in open loop, but then you are just relying on your tune to be "right" without the ability for the ecu to fine tune your afr while the engine is operating under different loads or environments.

I would think that it would be a pretty slick kit on something like a Gy6 based engine where you could allow the ecu operate fully as it should so you can actually enjoy all of benefits of having a modern efi system.

I could be wrong about all of this simply because I am not knowledgeable enough with how a 2stroke works with efi. On a 4stroke, its no big deal. It's been done millions of times over and would be a pretty easy setup.
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
superfast1234
BMX
BMX

Post by superfast1234 »

Install it with a bore kit then tell us how good it runs :surprise:
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

I emailed the company with a couple of questions and concerns as mentioned above. Here is my original email along with their reply for anyone who may be interested .

-----------------------------

I was looking into your 2stroke efi kit and just had a couple of questions.

First question was regarding ignition timing. Is there any way to use some sort of knock or detonation sensor? I was thinking that you could possibly run into some sort of issue if the engine started preignition and there wasn't a way for the ecu to pull timing.

Secondly, regarding running in closed loop operation, is there actually away to do this with a 2 stroke? I've never used any sort of efi on a 2T engine, but I would think that an o2 sensor would have a very short life being in stream of an oily exhaust. Also, I'm not sure if they can read accurately given the design of 2t engines and exhaust characteristics of expansion chambers. Although I've done a decent amount of efi work on 4 stroke engines, I don't know if using an exh temp sensor would give you the ability to adjust a/f rations in a closed loop situation using one instead of an o2 sensor.

The system you offer actually looks very interesting and somewhat easy to setup and tune. I just don't know if it would be an ideal system for myself with the 2T engine I was thinking about using it with. It definitely looks like a very cool system to use with a 4T motorcycle or other small engine.

Thanks for your time.

--reply---------------------

First - Yes you can provide your own detonation sensor - But our EFI compensates very well within our calibration environment. We haven't seen any unresolvable issues with detonation, to date.

Secondly - We have been running our heated O2 sensors on our test rigs now for well over 2 years without incident and controlling A/F ratio with very close tolerances.

Finally as we have done extensive testing in the 2T environment we found greatly increased F/E and durability due to improved and tailored fuel and spark mapping available in our systems.

I think you are most definitely on the right path in looking to Ecotrons to implement F/I on your platform.

As the most comprehensive and tunable system in the aftermarket you can't go wrong with Ecotrons.

Thanks for your interest and I look forward to hearing from you again soon.
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~