Af16 upgrades for better acceleration

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

budhanson1135
Noob
Noob

Af16 upgrades for better acceleration

Post by budhanson1135 »

I'm about to swap a Af16 into my sb50 my question is what performance parts should I get to increase acceleration? Id like to still be able to go 50-55mph
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Re: Af16 upgrades for better acceleration

Post by Peteyparado »

It's a give an take if you go with Variator parts weights,springs,gears etc...do a bore kit than you'll gain all around.. But that comes with tuning too..
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

my first move on my af16 was variator and gears. brought it to about 45 with decent accel. then I went for it and got a bbk carb pipe and clutch. did the polini contessa bbk and a low mid range pipe and was hitting 55-60 with great accel. now running a polini Corsa hitting 65-70 with hold the F on accel. when modding it really depends on what you want to get out of the motor and how much you want to spend. whatever you get spend a little more for better stuff it pays off in the long and have a game plan for the future. I built mine with the ultimate goal to go fast and strong. so I bought the parts along the way to get me there as I was building and putting more into but still able to ride it.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
TinyElvis
Spree
Spree

Post by TinyElvis »

Foley MN!? I grew up around there! And went to school at SCSU! HAHAHA!
Best bang for your buck and pretty bullet proof. Polini Corsa kit (72cc), with PG long exhaust, 24mm aftermarket carb (OKO or Polini) and a new variator (Keli/SEF or Polini).
Honda DIO 3 ZX Live, Malossi, WindJammah!
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I agree with Tiny on this but I currently run a pg long and wouldnt buy it again. yes its a good pipe but it doesnt get the rpms like some of the new ones that G9 is selling. that said I have hit 70 with my pg long so there is that. im basically running that setup and it screams Im just not a huge fan of the pg long. it rattled right out of the box and my max rpms are right around 10k. I know the corsa has more in it and G9 is hitting 12k with his pipes.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
TinyElvis
Spree
Spree

Post by TinyElvis »

I also agree with you Mr. Rips... But, it's the price point. You can spend $10,000 and not go fast enough. The kit I mentioned is priced to go fast on a budget AND it's bullet proof. I know some will say, if you want it done right, do it right the first time... If that's the case, then spend the $5000 on the Big EVO kit SSS sells! A million ways to go at this, as we've seen on the boards here. Spend an extra ~$150 for the Polini/SSS Corsa pipe. That'll get ya those rpm's
Honda DIO 3 ZX Live, Malossi, WindJammah!
Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ruckenstein »

Are you guys trimming the case for a Metro/Ruckus variator?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The AF16 crankcase must be trimmed, a little around the starter housing for the 95mm Polini (or 97mm?) Malossi for-Ruckus model variators. There is a danger if you stay with the S rear pulley of the belt being too short. If it gets all the way to the rim of the larger variator, there may not be enough length to drop all the way toward center at the rear pulley. I have read about S belts breaking in that scenario. I once owned a Malossi "Special" belt - sorry I can't recall the part number - that was a few mm longer than the stock S belt. Perhaps this was one reason.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH