Do i need to mod the sb50 carb to run a BBK/muffler mod?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jackstickley
BMX
BMX

Do i need to mod the sb50 carb to run a BBK/muffler mod?

Post by Jackstickley »

I know the SB50 engine is non-variated so modding it wont give the same performance boost a dio or se50 could get but i don't know where to find a good dio engine and have no welding abilities if i needed to change any motor mounts on my elite E.

So if i switch to a performance muffler and an 84mm BBk (i think is the good size). Do i need to mod the carb in any way and/or change the air intake? if so where do you recommend getting those parts?

I guess someone said a gearing kit has been released now too. so while not as good as a fancy variator it should give back some nice low rpm take off performance ill probably lose from these mods. though i haven't found it for sale yet. :coolcruise:
Jackstickley
BMX
BMX

Re: Do i need to mod the sb50 carb to run a BBK/muffler mod?

Post by Jackstickley »

well i guess the good BBK mods come with the widened injector so the answer is yes. now to find one that does come with it.
1989 Honda Elite E SB50p
- MLM Side-Bleed Pipe
- Lots of plans, Skeleton Scoot.

"It may not be fast or pretty but it's mine."
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I would look on ebay or in the for sale section for a variated afo5 motor from an aero or a later elite. The spree motor has lot of limitations, most notably the one speed tranny. Variated afo5's are fairly cheap in comparison to an af16. I've bought one for $100 shipped, complete, and they do 40 stock. Much easier to work with.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I put this motor together for about $650 including the cost of the motor. Has a polini bbk, 21mm stage6 pwk carb, burial expansion chamber, ncy quick throttle, malossi drivetrain,etc. Not crazy fast but fun around town, top speed 45-50 or so.
Jackstickley
BMX
BMX

Post by Jackstickley »

ive been looking for engines for sale no real luck. maybe i just found one on this forum for sale. im assuming the variated afo5 wont need any motor mount welding to get a proper fit in the frame?
1989 Honda Elite E SB50p
- MLM Side-Bleed Pipe

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Not %100 sure, but even if you have to make a custom mount it's well worth it.
Jackstickley
BMX
BMX

Post by Jackstickley »

i think i have a lead on a 01 elite s in good condition so right now the plan is to get that after ill either sell this elite e or keep it as a slow project.
1989 Honda Elite E SB50p
- MLM Side-Bleed Pipe

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

If you pick up the newer elite that'll be an af16 motor and a definite winner... lots of parts available and easily found. If you do pm me I need some elite e panels I might just buy the whole scooter from you.
Jackstickley
BMX
BMX

Post by Jackstickley »

The panels on my current E aren't very pretty, i bought it with the idea of turning it into a skeleton scoot so i didn't pay them much mind. but i could use the money. would guarantee i get the 01 S.
1989 Honda Elite E SB50p
- MLM Side-Bleed Pipe

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Lemme kno, I'm filling my backyard up pretty fast these days w broken down scooter projects haha.
Jackstickley
BMX
BMX

Post by Jackstickley »

I've decided to take what i have and make it the best i can, even with its limitations it should do what i need it to do. the Taz gears will be the last thing i do. muffler is on the way. bbk/jet are next and i'm assuming i will have to mod the carb/intake soon after. I wanted a project and i got it lol.

plastics are still on for the moment but i will keep you in mind if they ever stay off.
1989 Honda Elite E SB50p
- MLM Side-Bleed Pipe

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Whatever bbk you get should come w a jet in the kit, if not there's jet kits for oem carbs from naraku
Jackstickley
BMX
BMX

Post by Jackstickley »

yes the Taz BBK comes with the 100 or 107 fuel injector and after i install the kit i will either need to remove the oil injector and run premix or force it to full blast and still run premix gas(especially during break in).

but im still not sure how much i will have to mod the stock air intake. and not sure a uni filter will work well if i don't have the 21mm taz carb/intake kit.(which wont be for sale for a few more months.)
1989 Honda Elite E SB50p
- MLM Side-Bleed Pipe

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I wouldn't do a uni if you've gotta stock carb... you can get oem filters from polini and molossi, and you can get little round filter plugs for your airbox to make more air inlets
Jackstickley
BMX
BMX

Post by Jackstickley »

Other than injector port what would need to be modded carb wise? Does taz's 22mm carb mount do more than widen the channels?

Dumb question: assuming i keep the gears stock in my non variated afo5 what would the 48mm bbk do to its performance? Would it raise my accel and hill climbing abilities? Or just raise top speed by small margin?
1989 Honda Elite E SB50p
- MLM Side-Bleed Pipe