carb needle taper

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

GuavaJam
Spree
Spree

carb needle taper

Post by GuavaJam »

Anyone modify their carb needle with good results? Thx
GuavaJam
Spree
Spree

Re: carb needle taper

Post by GuavaJam »

The diameter must also have an effect
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

I found this pic somewhere awhile back. Has helped me a great deal in learning how different parts of the carburetor behave at different throttle positions ;)

But no, I have never modified a needle...
Attachments
jet-chart.jpg
jet-chart.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Stock Honda needle?
Daytona makes a kit with like 15 or more needles, all very subtly different in taper angle and diameters, although the overall length is about the same. You pretty much need a caliper that measures in microns to tell them apart, and even then you have to be extremely precise in Where you measure. I goofed with this one time, lining them all up and striking some lines a quarter, half and 3/4 of the way up the taper. The differences were Very slight, but apparently folks think enough to make a tuning change or why bother?

On a stock needle, the only thing I believe you could do is remove material, which would have the effect of richening the midrange a little - or a LOT! I'd use fine sandpaper and count the strokes, remeasuring after a given number depending on how much each pass removes. If you're not sure, have an extra needle to replace the modded one in case it sucks.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH