Stock Spree with Taz gears..RESULTS!!

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Stock Spree with Taz gears..RESULTS!!

Post by Meatball »

OK, guys. I currently have my 85' Spree back to stock. It is completely stock except for the deleted oil pump. Im running 32:1 mix in the tank and am getting 25-26mph all day long in my neighborhood with VERY slight hills. I am 185lbs. I installed the Taz gears today and it requires a press to get the old large gear off and new gear onto the rear axel. I bet someone savvy with a bearing puller kit could do it but I used a small garage press. All back together, heres the results: Take-offs are very sluggish but really don't require a push-off if your balance is decent. Slow acceleration up to about 20mph then it wakes up a bit and pulls(not hard, like a normal Spree pull) up to around 31mph. It maintains that speed all day long on a flat and when I travel down a slight hill it inches up to 34mph. I think these gears are an amazing upgrade for the Spree. BRAVO, TAZ!! I am very pleased!
Attachments
max speed with Taz Gears.JPG
max speed with Taz Gears.JPG (73.32 KiB) Viewed 9145 times
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Re: Stock Spree with Taz gears..RESULTS!!

Post by jakubman1 »

Sweet
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Once you get those BBK gremlins sorted out Meatball you'll be further pleasantly surprised ;)
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Just went on an much longer ride around town. Hit a few hills. It loves going down but almost a complete stop going up. As expected, the low end suffered big time. Most of my ride was at wot without a hiccup. Anyone thinking about gears should definitely get with Taz. This thing is fun again!
Attachments
new top speed.JPG
new top speed.JPG (75.25 KiB) Viewed 9135 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I guess its time to post pics.
Attachments
spree3.JPG
spree3.JPG (99.33 KiB) Viewed 9132 times
spree2.JPG
spree2.JPG (106.63 KiB) Viewed 9132 times
spree1.JPG
spree1.JPG (109.61 KiB) Viewed 9132 times
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Clean! Nice ride
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Id be in love if the bbk gremlins got figured out. That's what this beast is missing. Ive gone through countless hours of research and tuning but with no luck. I even had mousewheels come over and tune the bike for me. He taught me a lot about the carb, fuel and motor but at the end of the day the bbk still goes lean at WOT. Had a unifilter installed, 100 main jet, mixture screw only 1 full turn out, 30:1 mix, throttle needle set to the richest possible setting, etc, etc....the thing should've been fouling plugs left and right but instead it leans out and seizes at high RPM's every time. It always runs smooth as silk, has much better pull than stock and gives no indication of overheating. Until you twist that throttle a bit more and temps go into orbit before you have a chance to react. Im sure Taz's bbk is a great kit but I just cant get it to work on my bike.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

That's a bummer. You got a nice little scoot there. You'd easily see over 40 with the BBK.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Ah man, that sucks balls! I've had a few bigger jets turn up today and plan to start doing some experimentation when time and weather permits with the jetting ect

Will be sure to let you know if I have any major breakthroughs ;)

BTW you got yourself a pretty mint looking Spree there!
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

I installed my 3rd bbk.
Its on the 8th heat cycle today. Going for 10 then for a short trip for the first time maybe tomorrow.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Have any of you guys tried running the stock airbox with the BBK kit?

I never had good luck running pod filters with Spree... you had to upsize the jets past 100 just to keep it from going lean in *stock* form with a pod filter. Can't imagine issues with a larger bore.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

That's one thing I didn't try or even think of is running the the bbk with stock airbox and NO additional holes in the lid. I tried many different variations of extra lid holes but did NOT try with the lid top sealed up completely. When I had my bbk installed and using electrical tape to cap/uncap holes in the lid, I could hear a considerable amount of air being sucked into the extra holes while idling. However, there was no noticeable change in idle when having 1-4 holes open. Im sure the real difference is at high rpm's but mine didn't react well. At WOT it experienced an extremely lean situation at 1 lid hole and every combination up to 4 holes while using different jets of 87, 90 and 100. Maybe jakubman1 can try for us?
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Jakub is using 3...1inch holes in his air box. It'll barely.run with an unmodified air box. I have the 90 in there right.now.

Meatball why not.post pics of.your two blown engines ??
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

d*** that sucks meatball. Crazy you cannot get this kit to work. On this forum we are no strangers to soft and hard seized but I am very surprised you could not get it to work for you. We have had plenty of members on here with great success with the 48mm BBK. Usually the only problems I have seen on the forums with the 48mm BBK is with install or dialing the kits in.

Wheelman and few other members on here have used slightly bigger jets with BBK's and the stock air box and have had success. I have no experience in that area because I have never messed with that set up. Maybe Wheel will chime in with his wisdom and let us know exactly how that works in great detail.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Sorry no direct "wisdom" have I because although I've owned two Sprees, their condition was suitable only for parting out. But from reading and recollection, the stock Spree airbox's inlets are too small for much added displacement. That said, hogging out the inlet or drilling holes in the box will overwhelm the stock carb's tiny Pilot circuit by the loss of intake tract vacuum. Most of the issues I've read about involve OFF-Throttle heat spikes, not overheating at WOT with the appropriate Main jet installed. Such a Pickle!

Still, as Taz said we have seen a lot of 48mm Sprees run well, fast and reliably. Did you pressure-test the engine? My money's on an air leak at the cylinder base, but I may be off-base.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH