questions about SE50 Spree swap

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: questions about SE50 Spree swap

Post by Meatball »

The links to sidestands ive seen refer me to websites which sell them for $90-$100. No way Im spending that much for basically a tiny leg and a spring. Theres gotta be a cheaper alternative out there. Even if it requires minor fab/fit work. Maybe I'll steal the leg off my electric Razor scooter and make it work somehow.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

As many of you know, Ive swapped an 87' Elite motor into my Spree. When I got the donor motor I opened the airbox and the filter was dusted. I ordered up a new one from Noiseguy (perfect fit btw) and oiled/installed it. After doing some tweaking and tuning, its time to put on the plastics and let er rip. To my dismay I find out the plastics WONT FIT ON! The muffler nearly touches the plastic on one side and makes contact when the spring compresses when I sit on it. The bigger problem is that the other side wont even go on AT ALL because the airbox is so fat!

I know I could just cut the plastic on the muffler side for clearance but Im not crazy about a goofy looking cutout. I also know I could ditch the stock airbox and go with a pod filter but then I'll have airflow/tuning nightmares.

I have another airbox from a different AF05 motor but it doesn't fit on AT ALL because it hits the shock mount on the motor and the angle of the tube connecting to the carb is all wrong. SEE PIC of both airboxes I have. The one installed came with the donor Elite. The one on the ground came with a parts motor I bought for the un-restricted parts.

What can I do to use the Spree plastics without butchering them and making it look like a Franken-bike?
Attachments
air filter.JPG
air filter.JPG (122.05 KiB) Viewed 6577 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

So, I installed the unifilter and have it taped up except for the end. Now it bogs down low and struggles to take-off. Once it finally gets going it runs great all the way up. Wide open is crisp and smooth but it just doesn't like to be at half throttle or less. Any thoughts?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The stock main jet is #85 but I saw someone with a stock Elite that upjetted to #90...is this recommended? Also, will the Spree jets fit the Elite carb?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Crickets..... :roll:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Chirp-chirp-chirp-Chirp-chirp-chirp-Chirp-chirp-chirp...
Flash 9 has an iron 72cc Polini top end, stock pipe and carb run with airbox. It likes the 90, falls over flat on its face with a 92. Show me someone running a stock Elite with a 92, and I'll show you an air leak. Yes Elite jets should fit the Spree carb. They're all from the PA series. The bystarter socket is in a different location on the Spree and there may be some internal differences and emulsion tube variances, but they're basically the same carb otherwise.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Thanks, Wheel! Im gonna swap in a 90 and see if that cures the slight piston rattle at WOT. Next issue is that it just doesn't like low throttle. It idles fine but bogs at take-off and struggles for a few seconds. Takes about 3-4 seconds then comes alive and pulls/sounds fine. No matter if I take-off with partial throttle or full, it just doesn't like it. I dropped the needle to the top notch with no noticeable improvement.

Recap: Its a bone stock 87' Elite SE50 Elite motor with the only changes being a pod filter with it taped up except for the end. I went for a long 18mi ride last night and it ran great except for the above mentioned issues. I can accelerate up to top speed but if I hold the throttle at maximum I hear the piston start to rattle. I let off just slightly and the rattle goes away. Hoping the upjet from stock #85 to #90 cures that. Thoughts?

For now when im on a 25mph road and behind traffic, I have to constantly blip the throttle to maintain 25mph since it just bogs at partial throttle.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Ran the #90 jet today and its great. Full throttle is much cleaner. Still has a very slight rattle but rarely. Take-offs are where it really needs help. Anyone have ideas on how to clean up the low-end bog? Idle is fine and half to full throttle is fine...just at the take-offs.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Does it bog down on takeoff only when it's cold or at all times?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

It bogs hot or cold. Do you think I have too much air flow from the unifilter? I know the needle position affects idle to low throttle and I have mine dropped down in the leanest position. It acts like its rich (or muddy) on take-offs then cleans up after a few seconds and is totally fine at all upper throttle positions. Idle is fine too its just when I give it gas from a stop. Thoughts?
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Your not gonna get a clean power and w a unifilter in my experience. It just is too hard to tune, especially w a stock motor and carb. My stock afo5 aero w uni ran good at wot and would fill the exhaust w oil/fuel at idle, and be inconsistent at mid-range throttle. Get a stock box to fit or find an aftermarket carb w more tuning ability, that's my suggestion. You can get a 17.5mm dellorto phbg and tune the crap out of it, you can assess every part of the powerband. Stock stuff works best w stock stuff.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Look up jdm "smile" plastics. There the Japanese version of our spree w more open panels. You can trim the stock panels to look close and it will give you much more needed space.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

So if its to lean from the uni filter you should be richening the needle/ moving the clip down. You can also try richening the mixture screw, go all the way in and then back it out only 1/2 - 1 turn. Vs the standard 1.5 turns out. Both those should help off-set the air problem. I had to do the same on an afo5 with a pod filter/bbk, it ran much better like that, i also noticed cold starting was way better with the mixture richer also. Eventually i got a polini 21mm cp carb and naraku intake. It was all up hill from there, kept stock pipe and gears and it still hit 50mph and quick. Made it faster then my neighbors 4stroke 125cc! Good luck.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Also those polini clutch springs fit on that stock clutch and are cheap. Thatll help ur take off, get the rpms up a lil b4 takeoff.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Meloshameless wrote:you should be richening the needle/ moving the clip down. You can also try richening the mixture screw, go all the way in and then back it out only 1/2 - 1 turn. Vs the standard 1.5 turns out.
I will try both of these tomorrow and report back....thx for the advice, melo