'96 Elite S (SA50P) upgrades.... where to begin

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Re: '96 Elite S (SA50P) upgrades.... where to begin

Post by MentalJunkyard »

Throttle cable is good, carb opens fully, plug is correct and new last month. Brakes are not dragging. The last time I was checking out the variator, I drew a line with a sharpie across the pulley face, so I could see how far the belt rode up on the pulley. There is about 3/8" of the variator pulley going unused. (I'd attach a pic, but not sure how to from my phone) Is this normal? I don't know the weight of the rollers, but they are a bit flat spotted, so I wonder if that's what is holding me back.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Flat rollers and the fact they arnt riding up would horindiously cause issues with take off and top speed.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Power may be lacking if the belt isn't going a bit higher than 3/8" from the rim. If compression is at 120, AND the pipe isn't obstructed with soot, AND the air filter element hasn't turned back into Gum, consider the main jet. Too small or large will limit power. If you can't read with your "old eyes" just get a magnifying glass or cheap Jeweler's loupe. You should see a 78 stamped on the end for an unrestricted (SR) setup. Stock "P" was 68, but no telling what jet the P.O. installed. Even if it's a 78, consider that it may have been drilled. Indexing drills from Harbor Freight can be used with a micrometer to gauge the actual size, or just buy a 78, 82 and 88 from Honda. (99101-187-0**0) The stars are the mm size x100.

The restriction on the "P" models wasn't at the tail pipe but at the header end. I've only seen pictures, but it's breathing through a washer with a hole much smaller than the pipe. Grind it out flush with the pipe walls if you find one, but be sure to have at least a 78 installed before you try running it.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Post by MentalJunkyard »

Had some success! Swapped out the worn rollers for 7s and 8s, that seemed to help acceleration and even gained a little top end, about 31-32, then put in a 78 main jet, and it will just peg the speedo. That may be all I do for now, as it will go the speed limit on the streets I commonly travel. Of course, that won't stop jackasses from passing me on a double yellow line. Maybe I should install a nail dispenser or paintball gun. LOL
ansneds
Spree
Spree

Post by ansneds »

MentalJunkyard wrote:Had some success! Swapped out the worn rollers for 7s and 8s, that seemed to help acceleration and even gained a little top end, about 31-32, then put in a 78 main jet, and it will just peg the speedo. That may be all I do for now, as it will go the speed limit on the streets I commonly travel. Of course, that won't stop jackasses from passing me on a double yellow line. Maybe I should install a nail dispenser or paintball gun. LOL
Try taking the plate off the variator, it worked well for me.
Currently own:
->1995 Honda Elite 50 (Derestricted)
Have previously owned:
->Multiple 94-01 Elite 50s
->1985 and 1986 Honda Sprees
->1985 Honda Aero 50
MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Post by MentalJunkyard »

ansneds wrote:Try taking the plate off the variator, it worked well for me.
That, along with the exhaust restriction were apparently done by the previous owner. The jet made the biggest difference in both acceleration and top end. I need to recheck the variator pulley and see if it's finally getting full range. If it isn't, maybe I'll try heavier rollers and check the belt. What is the (new) belt width supposed to be?