'96 Elite S (SA50P) upgrades.... where to begin

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

'96 Elite S (SA50P) upgrades.... where to begin

Post by MentalJunkyard »

So, I recently bought this '96 Elite S (for $200!) I've been riding it a little, and it's been fun, and only has a couple of minor issues to nail down, but I'd also like to make sure that it's fully unrestricted and do some affordable mods to get the top speed up a bit. As is, after warmed up, it tops out at 27-29 mph. So, I assume that it's at least been partially uncorked. So, what's the best next step? I don't need a race bike, but I would like to get closer to traffic speeds 35-40. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is speedo replacement or recalibrating, as it runs out of numbers at 30 on mine.
MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Re: '96 Elite S (SA50P) upgrades.... where to begin

Post by MentalJunkyard »

thanks! I have seen quite an array of variators on the market. How do I know what makes a "good" one for my application? The exhaust mod sounds easy enough. I even have a long 3/8" drill bit that would probably do it. Is it a good idea to replace the throttle cable with the "split" style to open the oil feed also?
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

lol grumpy.

G9 is 100% right. Just slap a keli variator with 8-9gram rollers and some 9to1's and you will be very happy with the top end. You should hit 42-45 mph easy with that set up.

Taz
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

tazland001 wrote:lol grumpy.

G9 is 100% right. Just slap a keli variator with 8-9gram rollers and some 9to1's and you will be very happy with the top end. You should hit 42-45 mph easy with that set up.

Taz
2nd this. perfect way to start off. increase performance and mpg's, win win :2thumbs:

zip tie oil pump wide open is perfectly fine, did this on my own SA50P and have ran this for 10+k miles, most of those with a Corsa bore and mild street YMS exhaust. w/ no problems. (Note: I'd pour in few capfuls of 2stroke on every gas fill up when running the bigger bore, not needed for stock 50cc)
projects galore :nerd:
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

No matter what you do get quality parts the first time you will be thankful later.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Post by MentalJunkyard »

UPDATES: Been fighting a high-speed miss, worse when it's warmed up. Fixed a loose air box mount, that didn't cure the miss, but it does start easier. I suspected it was lean, so I moved the clip on the carb needle to the lowest groove. A bit better this morning, but only 24 mph
I had a little time today, so I pulled off the belt covers and some of the bodywork. The belt looks good, as does the variator. It appears that the P.O. removed the plate on the back of the variator and the three screws, maybe hoping that would give them a little more top end. When I removed the exhaust, I did not see a restriction in it, and I inserted a long drill bit into the outlet, and it went in a good 6" before encountering anything, around the center of the resonator. Is it possible this is a non-restricted muffler already? Is there a way to tell? While I was in the neighborhood, I wired the oil pump at about 50%. I don't know what I did in this process, but on the ride home, the miss was gone, and 29 mph is back. So, if I can keep it running like this, the variator and gears might do the trick
ansneds
Spree
Spree

Post by ansneds »

I am in the same situation as MentalJunkyard. I have a '94 SA50P and I want to do a few cheaper mods, (not a big bore kit.) I think I can do the exhaust mod easily. If I ziptie the oil pump open what will it look like? Also I was thinking about taking the plate of the variator or would a new variator be better?
Currently own:
->1995 Honda Elite 50 (Derestricted)
Have previously owned:
->Multiple 94-01 Elite 50s
->1985 and 1986 Honda Sprees
->1985 Honda Aero 50
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

ansneds wrote:I am in the same situation as MentalJunkyard. I have a '94 SA50P and I want to do a few cheaper mods, (not a big bore kit.) I think I can do the exhaust mod easily. If I ziptie the oil pump open what will it look like? Also I was thinking about taking the plate of the variator or would a new variator be better?
take the plate off, some easy gains for sure. performance variator will be even more gains.

once the oil pump valve is visible, its really easy to figure out. basically zip tie where stock cable would go, to the carrier bracket just near it. I've added metal wire too, just as a backup. sorry no pic, but if you need maybe someone else can chime in
projects galore :nerd:
MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Post by MentalJunkyard »

On the subject of variators, will any advertised for a "Dio" fit my SA50, or is it an AF16 specific part? I have seen a lot that are listed to fit a large number of models
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You should be at least 35 MPH from that thing bone stock.

Check compression, should be >100 PSI. Other thing to check is if muffler is "heavy," which means whole thing is clogged with oil and crust. Should weight about 3-4 lbs. More that that is just oil.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

ansneds wrote:If I ziptie the oil pump open what will it look like? A
It will look like you needlessly pouring oil into your cylinder. That's something guys with bore kits do to add a bit more oil at idle. No need for this with a stock bore.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Post by MentalJunkyard »

The muffler doesn't seem heavy, and isn't restricted, and I just checked the compression, 120 psi. Plug is light tan on one side, darker on the other. Still tops out at 29. I haven't checked the main jet size, can't see those numbers with my old eyes, but if it was leaning out, the plug would show it, right?
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Perhaps ur throttle cable was also adjusted by P.O. pull ur air box, look into carb mouth while doing WOT. Make sure the slide goes all the way up. (With bike not running of course). Also if PO pulled the vari restrictor plate he might have changed roller weights. Use a digi scale, should weigh around 9gram each. Maybe someone can chime cuz i might be mistaken on the stock roller weights.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Also confirm the plug is correct. Wrong plug can mislead ur mixture reading. Slight hiccups can possibly be plug going bad. Grab a fresh one. Also check back wheel for frer spin. Ive seen those back brakes over tightend. Put bike on center stand. The wheel shoud spin by hand. If not adjust back brake knob.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

MentalJunkyard wrote:The muffler doesn't seem heavy, and isn't restricted, and I just checked the compression, 120 psi. Plug is light tan on one side, darker on the other. Still tops out at 29. I haven't checked the main jet size, can't see those numbers with my old eyes, but if it was leaning out, the plug would show it, right?
Sounds like engine is solid. Checking for throttle binding is a good idea, but likely issue is in drive side (variator / belt / clutch)
Admin, Hondaspree.net