YMS Exhaust... Will It Fit?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Raharu
BMX
BMX

YMS Exhaust... Will It Fit?

Post by Raharu »

In my journey to de-restrict my Elite S, I've decided to just go ahead and upgrade the exhaust out the gate as opposed to drilling out the washer. Wondering if this one will fit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GF ... A2J7YDDYST

Thanks in advance!
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Re: YMS Exhaust... Will It Fit?

Post by Meloshameless »

Lookin like thats for the af18, elite s has the af16.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
Raharu
BMX
BMX

Post by Raharu »

Meloshameless wrote:Lookin like thats for the af18, elite s has the af16.
Thanks! That's what I'm wondering... what the difference is in the exhaust for AF16 vs. 18. I've seen people running a YMS exhaust that looks just like this one on an AF16 Elite:

https://youtu.be/OXimkcjWlCA?t=1m44s

There's this one on eBay that looks identical and specifically states it's for the AF16/Elite S:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-Dio-ZX-Sh ... TI&vxp=mtr

But the Amazon one has a 28mm inner diameter on the head pipe and the eBay listing says 26mm.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Yea, that's a good street pipe and it's nice and quiet. Cheap price. Revs a lot better than stock. Mine was 24.4mm head pipe. Stock pipe is 22.2. And there is no difference in exhaust style on af18/af16. Same.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Raharu
BMX
BMX

Post by Raharu »

bonesv wrote:Yea, that's a good street pipe and it's nice and quiet. Cheap price. Revs a lot better than stock. Mine was 24.4mm head pipe. Stock pipe is 22.2. And there is no difference in exhaust style on af18/af16. Same.
Great to know man, thank you. Where did you pick yours up if you don't mind me asking? 26mm head is the smallest I can find.
graphite9 wrote:16 and 18 will be the same. you dont want the 28mm for your stock
Okay, cool. I'll take your advice as it's always on point ;) Though why is a 28mm not good for the stock bore? And if I went with a 26mm right now, would it still be adequate if I decided to install a bore kit later on?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I got mine from Jiangwayne.com back in 2011. It was $100 bucks shipped from Taiwan. I'm gonna tell you, it said 26mm but I measured it and it is 24.4mm. So it's still good for stock AND 65-75 cc bbk. It's a great pipe for cheap. But it is limited..........
Also, you will need to increase the jet size a little (80-85) with that pipe if you run a stock carb setup. If you mod the air box, or eliminate it and run a pod filter, you need to increase it even more. Order a set of 10:1 gears and have some fun for cheap! It's easy to do.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Raharu
BMX
BMX

Post by Raharu »

bonesv wrote:I got mine from Jiangwayne.com back in 2011. It was $100 bucks shipped from Taiwan. I'm gonna tell you, it said 26mm but I measured it and it is 24.4mm. So it's still good for stock AND 65-75 cc bbk. It's a great pipe for cheap. But it is limited..........
Also, you will need to increase the jet size a little (80-85) with that pipe if you run a stock carb setup. If you mod the air box, or eliminate it and run a pod filter, you need to increase it even more. Order a set of 10:1 gears and have some fun for cheap! It's easy to do.
Perfect! A 10:1 gear ratio coupled with a 72cc Malossi kit are what I ultimately had planned for this bike, so it's good to know the YMS will still be in the "sweet spot" once the BBK gets thrown in.

Thanks for the tip on ordering directly from their site, too, as it looks to be a good $20 cheaper than FeeBay when shipping's figured in: http://jiangwayne.com/scooter/p_i.php?i=271
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Had that exact YMS pipe on "bumblebee" which also started out as a restricted SA50P and LOVED IT! highly recommend it

It's a great pipe with lots of midrange. Ran on stock bore, with 9:1gears. Followed by a Taiwan 75cc, then a 72cc Polini Contessa for about 2k mi, finally with a 72cc Polini Corsa for 7k+ miles. It was best all around with the Corsa, but note: you will never pull Corsa's full potential with this pipe. I was aware of this going into it, and did Corsa strictly for the reliability factor. (Speed wise, with this pipe: Taiwan<Contessa<Corsa, with 2-3mph jump over each)

YMS/Corsa/21OKO/9:1gears, to date still my favorite setup, perfect for a daily. Can go WOT for miles and miles, good for easy 45-50mph avg, and 55+mph top speed, can touch 60 on hills (Gpsd at ~61mph I recall, with hill), plus still routinely got 56mpg on average. Went beyond this setup to uncork the Corsa, and have regretted it ever since.. sure it got faster, but lost the bottom end and all around easy streetability.

Here's my old build threads on her:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9487
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14941

Still have her, but dang I miss those yellow panels and that setup..
projects galore :nerd:
Raharu
BMX
BMX

Post by Raharu »

burnt_toast wrote:Had that exact YMS pipe on "bumblebee" which also started out as a restricted SA50P and LOVED IT! highly recommend it

It's a great pipe with lots of midrange. Ran on stock bore, with 9:1gears. Followed by a Taiwan 75cc, then a 72cc Polini Contessa for about 2k mi, finally with a 72cc Polini Corsa for 7k+ miles. It was best all around with the Corsa, but note: you will never pull Corsa's full potential with this pipe. I was aware of this going into it, and did Corsa strictly for the reliability factor. (Speed wise, with this pipe: Taiwan<Contessa<Corsa, with 2-3mph jump over each)

YMS/Corsa/21OKO/9:1gears, to date still my favorite setup, perfect for a daily. Can go WOT for miles and miles, good for easy 45-50mph avg, and 55+mph top speed, can touch 60 on hills (Gpsd at ~61mph I recall, with hill), plus still routinely got 56mpg on average. Went beyond this setup to uncork the Corsa, and have regretted it ever since.. sure it got faster, but lost the bottom end and all around easy streetability.

Here's my old build threads on her:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9487
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14941

Still have her, but dang I miss those yellow panels and that setup..
This must be Providence or something, as my '99 Elite S is also starting life with the "Bumblebee" color configuration! ;) The guy I bought it from seemed a bit embarrassed to be caught dead on it, but for some reason it always reminds me of Uma Thurman in Kill Bill Vol. 1 riding around Tokyo on her bright yellow Ninja. All I need is the sword haha.

That's a sweet build, man. Hope to get even close to what you've achieved someday!

Awesome to have more "real-world" testimonials on this pipe, too, and from what you're saying it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Will definitely pull the trigger next pay day along with a Keli Variator. Will probably ride it around like that for the remainder of the season (which is rapidly coming to an end here in Northern Michigan) and pick out a big bore/gear set this Winter to play around with in the shop.

So many options to choose from! Too many for a n00b, almost... :shock:

9:1 gearing or 10:1, for example? Leaning towards 10:1 as there's a single big, steep hill I have to climb in my final stretch home, but 9:1 would probably be better for short highway jaunts. A Corsa's a bit out of my budget for this build, but I've been eyeing those Contessas with envy. Look to be a bit cheaper than the Malossi's 72cc offering and people seem to like 'em quite a bit.

So it'll probably be the Contessa coupled with a 10:1 gear set - the other "ultra budget" option is the Tazland/Chopchop 80cc kit with the 9:1 gears, which seems like a fantastic deal but I worry about running such a large cylinder on a re-jetted stock carb. Both kits get rave reviews around here though obviously the Polini has a bit more street cred.