SE50 gears...where to buy? Which ones?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

SE50 gears...where to buy? Which ones?

Post by Meatball »

Seems like I cant find gears for an SE50. Ive got the un-restricted gear in already by swapping gear "A" on the chart (link below) to a 13 tooth bringing it to 10.1:1. That gave me basically 1mph gain over the 12 tooth. I read the stock bore can handle 9:1 but cant find anything available that CLEARLY says it fits an SE50. She tops out at 40mph on a flat in its totally stock un-restricted SE50 form.

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ion_Ratios
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Wheelman-111

Re: SE50 gears...where to buy? Which ones?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A few years ago there were some Intrepids who managed to modify the crankcase and gear cover sockets and adapt the ENTIRE gear package for an SA16 to their SE05 engines, including using the 16's axle. The machine work necessary was extensive. The Malossi 16/32 primaries require knocking out the stock clutch shaft and pressing the 32-tooth "B" gear onto the countershaft, a fairly simple operation. But the 7.83 final drive ratio that results is pretty tall, even for a well-tuned, fully-modified 65cc 05 engine with carb and pipe. The downside is painfully slow acceleration from 0 to about 12 MPH. After that, the variator does its job and the midrange is comparable to any other ratio. The top end can approach 60MPH if the pipe lets the revs get high enough.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Well, I certainly wont be doing extensive machine work anytime soon and 7.83 ratio is not doable with my stock bore. The Malossi gears that G9 spoke of...Please, tell me more. Where to buy, etc...pressing gears onto shafts is not a problem. I have access to a press.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I think racing planet has em, n you can get em in ebay and I bet g9 has em. You can also still find old polini gears for this block but they are the same ratio as malossi... can't you do the zx swap on the af05 block? That should help w acceleration w those super tall gears.

Meatball, you still haven't Swapped out any of your transmission yet, huh? Do a variator/belt/clutch!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

benji wrote:you still haven't Swapped out any of your transmission yet, huh? Do a variator/belt/clutch!
Nah, man. My main focus after the SE50P swap was to de-restrict. That's done and now looking at upgrades. Trying to find the best combo that would give the best results. Im keeping the stock bore since the city cops around here are wise to the 49cc law and god knows I don't need any more tickets. Im hoping to put together a "tried n true" proven combo that works well because Im not interested in aimlessly buying different parts just to try/test. Heres what Ive come up with so far:

Variator: On SSS theres the Keli or the Malossi... Is there THAT much of a performance difference to justify the almost DOUBLE price tag for Malossi?

Belt: On SSS the Polini Belt DIO...assuming it fits my 87' Elite SE50 motor since it doesn't specify, I would be getting this one.

Clutch: On SSS the KN Planning Clutch...The price is what draws me to this one and the fact that SSS wouldn't sell it if it was junk. All other options are a bit out of my price range at the moment.

So, its looking like I could get all three(if I choose the Keli vari) for around $110+shipping. However, if I choose the Keli, should I be looking to buy a center/contra spring? Maybe the Malossi variator kit is the better option since it includes a spring. Or the stock spring is OK to use?

Am I even in the ballpark with my choices? Keep in mind that Im keeping the stock bore and am on a tight budget. Id also like to find taller gears like 9:1 if they even make them. Theres not many parts out there that specifically say they fit an SE50. I assume that DIO parts are similar but I don't know and wont buy until Im sure.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Dio is similar but not the same... uses a slightly different belt I think.

In sss you can get malossi springs for the factory clutch- if your oem clutch is good I would get these instead of a whole new clutch. It'll help alot.

Get a varaitor. Any variator. I had issues fitting my malossi multivar but it does work well and has a new contra spring that comes w it. Oh and get weights and a couple contra springs, too. You can use a vario and belt for an elite or an aero or a dio, just make sure they match- a.k.a., if you get a vario for a dio, get a belt for a dio.

But the polini belt is a good one. I had it and abused it for a year and it worked great.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

And maybe get a 90/90 rear tire. That'll help too.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

On his site just look under 87'-93' elite, under honda. The polini belt for dio will work for se50. I used it. I also got the polini vari for it, unsure if he still stocks those, but u cant go wrong with the malossi one, since it comes with weights and contra, however i doubt contra will help on a stock bore. I put the malossi bbk, naraku intake, and a 21mm polini carb, polini vari and polini evo clutch/bell and even then only the polini white contra helped, which is only 7% stiffer than stock. Realistically, u can use any vari for dio on se50 (af05) the only difference is the inside diameter of the boss. In that case use ur stock one on an aftermarket vari.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Actually the af16 has a different inner diameter boss than the af05 but the af18/dio has the same inner diameter but a shorter length, and a different width belt than the 16 or 05. I got a multivar for dio that I was told would work w my oem boss on my aero 50, but the oem boss won't fit the malossi varios (too wide, won't slide in). I had to use the malossi boss w a shim to get the flywheel to sit against the boss tightly. If you get the malossi,pm me on how to get it to work. But I would get another brand just cuz, too many issues to get to work right on mine.

However, the shorter boss on mine allows me to shim it just enough to get the flywheel and boss together, and it also gives me a little more depth on the shaft so I get more contact w the splines, but it might be eating my belt fast.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Benji, i think ur referring to the drive face, not fly wheel.. lol.
corsa
naruku
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Yasuni C16
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I'm not sure actually haha... I've seen it called both. The non-moving side of the vario is what I mean.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

The variator has a drive face that bolts to the side of it that the kick starter and starter gear grab onto the fly wheel is what goes over the mag/ is the mag system that charges and fires off the motor timing.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Jumps is on to something....lol.
corsa
naruku
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Yasuni C16
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Anyone ever try a Spree airbox on an SE50? I tried it today and it gets totally choked out from not enough airflow. I already had six 1/2" holes in my cover and they were taped shut so I began opening them up one at a time and doing test runs. Opening up 1,2 or 3 holes and it just bogs when I give it gas and wont even take off from a stop. It really woke up at four 1/2" holes open but now it smokes a bit. It got dark and I ran out of time. More testing tomorrow.

What would the smoke indicate? Too much air or not enough?