Zx50 Corsa build, Please please critique my cvt setups.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

mantrans
BMX
BMX

Zx50 Corsa build, Please please critique my cvt setups.

Post by mantrans »

Ok ive posted before about slow takeoff speeds but I thought I would try to get more into the cvt aspect of it then possible mechanical issues as Ive tirelessly test and checked everything, compression test, leakdown test, apart then together. The issue is that I see and or read of everyone elses af18 corsa builds have incredible low end power some are even pulling wheelies, I do have a zx50 not a elite and such so I do have some more weight and a 12" rear tire, I am sure some of that comes into play.

Here is my setup, I have every assortment of cvt tuning stuff you buy and i have been running through it all and I am still not getting the 0-20-30 mph acceleration I am striving for. I am a man who loves to experiment almost uncontrolably and I feel like Im now adjusting things that shouldnt even have anything to do with helping my takeoff speeds. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would just love to sound off of everyone and hear what they have to say!

Polini corsa, I cleaned up the exhaust port a bit, did not mess with port timing
Stock af18 cases I port matched to the bore and intake.
Malossi Stuffer crank
Stage 6 intake manifold
24mm polini pwk carb and evo filter, needle on second from leanest setting.
Corsa Race Pipe
Malossi variatior setup
Polini 3g race clutch (3shoe)
Main Jet is a 126, now I know due to my othe post that this rich of a jet on my setup is mind boggling but If this helps I forgot to mention it before, I do experiment with alot of race gases and I stayed with vp q16 which is an oxygenated fuel, it naturally will have a leaner ratio due to the oxygen content and vp claims to go up 6% on jetting. Feel free to chime in on that as well if you would like.

Ok here it is. Today I reached my fastest acceleration yet when I dropped from 6.0 sliders to 5.5 sliders and went from the blue clutch springs to the yellow ones and had them at the tightest setting. I also had the yellow malossi center spring in and It took off much better, I didnt have to push off with my feet and it came in to about 80% of its power around 15mph then was all out at 25-30 mph, issue was that ones I got up to 55-60+ I could hear noticable detonation and what even sounded to be metal to metal like the rod was hyper extending as I was pushing just past 11,500rpm.
So I put the 6.0 sliders in and it revved to a max off 11,150 with not engine threating sounds but the bike didnt do a thing until 30mph then came into power like a big turbo car. I did the sharpie test and it is making it to the top. My only assumption from feel is that it revs high then in a sense skips a gear, so shifting a car from 1st to 3rd. I have tried the white spring (lightest) with sliders as heavy as 8.0 grams and sliders as low as 4.5 grams with the red spring ( stiffest) and everying in between.

Conlcusion: I may never get it out if this setup who knows, the trans may not even be the issue, but your input is still helpful
To help you out the things that I have yet to try would be to keep going down on the clutch spring tension, I have every gram slider and roller, all the clutch springs, all the center springs, I understand every identical setup is different and rider weight ( I am 130lbs) I would just like to hear your opinions on what may work. I do have various drive bosses the bushing between variator and fixed plate and some are longer than others, didnt know if that would keep the belt lower longer idk. THANK YOU ALL!
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Zx50 Corsa build, Please please critique my cvt setups.

Post by ped »

Hi mt. I'm not an expert ,but what I would do. Sounds like you need to go down to 5g or lower on your variator, 1000- 1500 on rear clutch and center spring.
Check your compression. around 135 is good. High compression May also give you a pinging noise. GL.
Last edited by ped on Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
mantrans
BMX
BMX

Post by mantrans »

ped wrote:Hi mt. I'm not an expert ,but what I would do. Sounds like you need to go down to 5g or lower on your variator, 1000- 1500 on rear clutch and center spring.
Check your compression. around 135 is good. High compression May also give you a pinging noise. GL.
Thanks, yeah my compression was just at 150, luckily no noises though.
mantrans
BMX
BMX

Post by mantrans »

graphite9 wrote:definitely, you want to be 4-5G on the rollers. Also check quish, to be safe. If your too tight you'll burn a hole in your piston.
yeah that would suck. My next question to you is I went from 6.0g sliders to 5.5 sliders and it would hit the over revv at around 55-60mph so I went back to 6g and it was fine so wouldnt going even lower than 5.5 g make it even worse? I will say I am pretty thorough but I did not check the squish I just ran the supplied metal gasket, I have not had any issues with detonation or running too tight until I put the 5.5 g in with red malossi spring and yellow springs on stiffest setting. I wish I could find what every single adjustment on that clutch coralates to what rpm engagement.