Areo/NH80 Top performance upgrades

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

theycallmevrod
Noob
Noob

Areo/NH80 Top performance upgrades

Post by theycallmevrod »

Let's answer the question once and for all. I have a 1985 Aero 80 and for the past summer I've been up one side of the Internet to the other trying to hop up the old girl. I've learned a lot and forgotten even more after reading as much on the subject as Goggle will allow. I'm asking anyone who cares and is interested to post what mods they have had success with. Before starting my mods I began with a bone stock Aero 80 that I went through thoroughly cleaning every ounce of grime and oil. Replaced all fuel, oil and vacuum lines with new clear tubing. Totally disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt carb. Also drained all 2 stroke oil transmission/ final drive oil and replaced with Honda G2 and SAE 10w-40. Cleaned all filters and screens.  

My current mods to date.

New stock oiled foam air filter
Boyesen power reed #740.
Grease removed from variator (reassemble variator dry with backing plate).
Prima roller weights 12 grams 18x14.
95 main jet.
38 pilot jet.
One flat washer added under e clip on jet
needle.
New Comet drive belt #20042.
Brisk racing spark plug #NOR15LGS premium 3147.

Top speed 40-42 mph.

My goal is to exceed 45 mph, I know some may say just get a bigger/newer bike but I love my Aero. The way it handles is great and the classic "80's Saved by the Bell" look is timeless. I'm looking for ideas for upgrades over the winter and thought this might be a good place to gather other owners experience with mods and what they we're able to achieve.
patthesoundguy

Re: Areo/NH80 Top performance upgrades

Post by patthesoundguy »

Replace the centre spring in the driven pulley with a yellow malossi spring for a dio. And a better carb should wake that thing right up. The ct manifolds and similar bolt right on. Send the cylinder off to get proper porting done would be another great improvement . The name of the game here is more top end and without changing gear ratios the only way you can achieve more top end is higher RPMs. So proper porting and carb are going to get you what you want and the other piece of the puzzle is a proper pipe. And where a tuned pipe isn't made for the Aero 80 you will need find a pipe for a similar bore and hack n weld a header to fit the scooter or make one. You'll need to get the header pipe the right length for the pipe otherwise the pipe wont hit when you want it to. How do I know this... I've gotten a header length wrong and the pipe did not work right at all.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

All i did to mine so far is replace that main jet with a #90. Im hitting 43-45.
I have a center spring on the way.
theycallmevrod
Noob
Noob

Post by theycallmevrod »

Upgrading my carb is definitely something I'm considering. I've read 21-24mm works well. This is a link to a kit someone on the board has tried but haven't heard back on any result. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-Dio-ZX-Jo ... 1205770910

With the new yellow center spring, are you still using your stock weight rollers?
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Yes the weight of the roller is stock buuut i had flat spots on the on the oem ones so i replaced with cheap good ones from ebay.

I up shift to early and its slow acceleration from there. Maybe one day ill do those upgrades dooown the road. Im happy with what it is.
Just trying to plan a road trip one day with my buds

If its not broken dont fix it ;)
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

That spring should really help the early upshift issue there jakubman. And aparaently a stock Dio af18 carb which is 19mm bolts right on to the aero 80, im going to order one and confirm
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
theycallmevrod
Noob
Noob

Post by theycallmevrod »

Patthesoundguy, where are you ordering the stock Dio af18 carb from? Let us know it you see improvement. Did you ever get the header length right on the exhaust? What exhaust did you start with?
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

theycallmevrod wrote:Patthesoundguy, where are you ordering the stock Dio af18 carb from? Let us know it you see improvement. Did you ever get the header length right on the exhaust? What exhaust did you start with?
the Header and pipe i was working with was on my express. I had it figured out pretty good on the stock bore but when i swapped to another stock bore bored .025 oversized the pipe was all wrong. And i had a chance to test a couple lengths before i welded it. I got the MLM pipe for it and that was that problem solved. i havent orderd that carb but I am planning to order it soon. As soon as I have chance to get it on there you'll all know the outcome. I have a few different options I can try. The AF18 19mm carb looks like the slickest option because it will be a bolt on and go and it has a bystarter like the spree carb, so the old vacuum enrichment system the Aero 80 uses will no longer be a problem. Mine works fine but that's not always the case. I am also looking at exhausts that may be adaptable to the Aero 80. The Lead 90 exhaust doesn't fit I ordered a stock one to see and no dice. I would be on it more but with my new small engine business and the audio business doing all of the travelling I do I haven't had much time to even get much riding in let alone wrenching. Im trying to put aside more time in the next month or two to do some experimenting. Cool thing is if I need things like fuel line or fuel filters or anything that is small engine universal in nature like that i can get it from my suppliers. I have tons of the good quality true blue fuel line in ALL of the sizes on hand. Im also hoping to have the new shop by winter time if im lucky I plan on doing peds and scooters as part of the small engine business.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock