Looking for faster out of my SA50 Swapped Spree

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Looking for faster out of my SA50 Swapped Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

Hi everyone!

I am looking at a new variator for my Spree... Specifically the one on SSS, Malossi... My motor is from a 92 Elite, is all stock except for a Polini 19MM Carb.

I am hoping for a little faster (hits about 38-39 on flat ground with now wind...). My question is will a new variator help with top speed? I am also looking at the Malossi BBK on SSS for it at the same time. I feel like I have enough (not plenty but enough) power currently but would like a better top speed. I am having trouble finding a gear set to go with the BBK... If someone could point me in that direction I would really appreciate it if that is the best plan for more speed (makes sense to me)....

I am shooting for mid to upper 40's. I recently moved a little further out of town and my commute takes me on a couple 40 and 45 MPH roads...

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Looking for faster out of my SA50 Swapped Spree

Post by Meatball »

The new vari claims to add 5-9mph on the top end. The polini belt is a bit wider than stock and rides higher up on the vari to gain even more top-end.

Im going to try doing both but also using Dr Pully sliders since they claim even more top speed. It will be a week before I will have results on these upgrades.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

I used the polini vari from SSS when i had that motor. Acceleration improved and i gained 5mph top end. So that malossi shud do the same. He used to stock gears for that motor to, only set ive seen and hes the only one i seen sell them. Try email or pm him, if he doesn't have, Im sure he can get em. Meatball had a point with the belt, but i disagree on the sliders, i have a set and they made no top end difference. If the vari wants to open even farther it would mean the belt would need to be longer to compensate, cuz i had the polini belt also and it bottoms out on the rear pulley even with standard rollers reaching its highest gear, to go farther up vari/drive face side would mean those Dr pulley sliders are trying to stretch the belt after it reaches that point. I think it's just sales gimmicks. Plus there expensive for only 6sliders, when a few bucks more you can get a whole set of rollers and tune for days! I also had his malossi bbk, naraku intake, polini 21mm cp carb with stock pipe and gears. My bike did 50mph on flats and 35-40 up steep hills! The intake and carb made the most noticeable difference bottom and mid picked up alot. Good luck!
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

Thanks for the responses! Looks like I'll start with the vari and maybe move up to the BBK then try and track down some gears from G9 if I need more speed... Which I likely will...
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

Meatball, let me know how it turns out for you since you have a very similar setup to me! I think I finally have my carb tuned about right and I am pretty solid 37-38mph... Good power really all the way to about 33-35 so I think my carb helps with that but I can't seem to hit that 40 mark as is.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ion_Ratios

One thing I forgot to mention was that I have the stock gears from an 87' SE50A (check chart above)...the primary "A" gear is 13 tooth which puts me at 10.2 ratio. I couldn't find any aftermarket gears that would fit an SE50 so I had to go with those. I was hoping to find like 9:1-ish but no luck. Everything I found was for 88'-94' or DIO. That may be the difference in me hitting that 40mph mark.

I was hitting 40-40.5 on flat all day long (GPS proven) then I got the Polini belt from SSS installed a few days ago which shot me up to 42-42.5mph consistently. However, I did lose a tiny bit of low-end in the process but not enough to worry about. All in all, the belt is a solid upgrade for sure. I drive on 40mph roads quite a bit and anything over 40 I can do just helps people get off my tail. They like to do 45-50 on that road.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

graphite9 wrote:I do have gears your motor by the way but they are a tad tall without a big bore kit.
How tall and how much? Is it primary gears only? A or B or both? I might wanna try those just to play around with.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Got the "US2" ramp plate from an 85' Aero installed. It looks like the same ramp angle as the Keli but the 3 slider clips are stamped deeper on the US2. Still using the Keli pulley since the roller ramps on the stock Aero pulley didn't look as steep. Going to give it a test run now.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Looks like 7.83 ratio....How would that be on a stock bore? Just a sluggish take-off? Price?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I will define "Take-Off" as the first scooter movement from full stop/throttle application to the point when the clutch is fully engaged and underway. With 7.83:1 gearing, this is a clutch friction issue, and actually goes fairly well and quickly if the clutch is tuned well, but only once. If the clutch is hot from one holeshot, asking for a second zero-to is painfully slow..

That said, if you don't have to burst over tracks in front of the 9:09 Express every block, acceleration is just about the same as with stock gears, because the variator is doing its job keeping RPM on the boil and compensating for the tall final drive.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I know wheelman has much experience with SE50 from reading a bunch of posts from 2008. So after the first launch the clutch is cooked/glazed? Is this remedied with a certain clutch spring youd recommend? Im not really looking to burn up clutches and fixing them every 100mi.
akurtzer57
Goped
Goped

Post by akurtzer57 »

I run keli variator and 9:1 gears on my af16 spree otherwise stock. I see just over 50mph.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I wish I could find 9:1 for mine....only ones in existence are the Malossi 7.83...Im running 10.2 now and she tops out at 41-42ish on a flat.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Another trick for higher top speed is a larger variator... polini high speed for ruckus is the biggest currently available I think. That should give you a couple more mph, but you'll need a longer belt to go with. Read the "zx trans how-to" thread. Good one to go by, especially if you plan on doing gears.