Reading Sharpie lines on a vari

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Reading Sharpie lines on a vari

Post by Meatball »

Made a few lines with a Sharpie on the vari pulley and was checking to see how high the belt runs. Took it for a 5mi test run with a few hills up n down. Pulled the belt cover and saw marks left behind at the top of the pulley. They are about 1/8th of an inch long. I know that's not much but Im wondering if there should be NO marks indicating the belt makes it to the top? Maybe this is topped out and normal belt position for top gear?

Next question: Could this be an indication of my rollers being too light (or rear center spring being too stiff) causing the vari to not be fully engaged?
Attachments
vari marks.JPG
vari marks.JPG (97.33 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Wheelman-111

Re: Reading Sharpie lines on a vari

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I have never seen my marks Completely erased, but about 1/8 always remaining is pretty good. Look at your Outer drive pulley and see the Ridge that results in no further outward belt movement possibility.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Off topic- looks like your front outer pulley might be rubbing on the case cover? You still gotta complete gasket on that thing? If not you'll wanna get some washers n space it out a hair.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Good catch benji that could ruin a motor espcially if it wore enough and heated up it could warp and ruin a motor.lock it up evntually.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Yup, got a fresh gasket on there and theres no rubbing. Remember, this motor was from that Elite that was dragged down the freeway on its motor side behind an RV. When I got it, the kickstart assembly was bashed in and causing it to rub the outer pulley. Before I bought it I had to make sure it even ran so started and revved it a few times. That's where the rub marks came from...good eye tho! :wink:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

d*** dude reminds me of that spree that was drug by that drunk girl. Good that you knew about the gasket a few people down or refuse to use em.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I bought what's left of that bike! Basically a frame and title lol but really only needs plastics and a motor. It'll run again someday, after my other 3 or 4 projects.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Hi meatball. Your vari looks normal. Mr G gives good advice. Try a new belt or rollers. I have a Kelly and polini variators. My belt rides all the way to the top on both. Gl.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ