Honda spree crank mods. Ya done em? Check out mine.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Honda spree crank mods. Ya done em? Check out mine.

Post by MrJumps »

I wonder if the con rod from an sa50 fits the spree assembly
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

No it will not fit. Just for starters the piston is taller and a 39mm and the wrist pin is 12mm
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

graphite9 wrote:you guys...trying to adapt dio parts to a spree makes no sense. :). Its like trying to turn a 12' lake boat into a commercial crabbing boat.
12 foot fishing trolly sounds like my game. Sign me up
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Post by Gearhart »

Imo: sprees are cool bikes stock. If you aren't mechanically inclined or just want something to mob around your property/neighborhood leave it bone stock. They are reliable and bulletproof. Now if you're any type of motor head or thrill seeker and plan to ride it often on the street the first thing you should do is rip that spree motor out and toss it for something with a variator. I don't think I know of a person who have swapped a spree, then turned it back to stock cause they liked the stock engine better lol.
stevespree7
Goped
Goped

Post by stevespree7 »

guys, the JBweld is temporary. i am doing an experiment. if i need to take more weight i can, if its near spot on i will press in aluminum, if it seems all * up i will try adding weight with lead or tungsten. we will see what happens when she starts up.

( have 2 or 3 stock cranks, figured it was a good chance to learn how to balance crank. i am balancing to a bobweight factor of of 25% first.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Gearhart wrote:Imo: sprees are cool bikes stock. If you aren't mechanically inclined or just want something to mob around your property/neighborhood leave it bone stock. They are reliable and bulletproof. Now if you're any type of motor head or thrill seeker and plan to ride it often on the street the first thing you should do is rip that spree motor out and toss it for something with a variator. I don't think I know of a person who have swapped a spree, then turned it back to stock cause they liked the stock engine better lol.
What he said... They are awesome little bikes and definitely a conversation starter but if you wanna go faster than about 50km/h flat out and reliably then grab something with an AF16/18 or graft one into a spree frame... Or be prepared to give your wallet a hiding. My scoot will do 50 - 55 km/h wot all day 100% stock which is fine for around town.

I'm going to put mine back to it's stock self after killing the BBK and it'll still put a smile on my face when I take it out. Have managed to build a cheap(maybe $400NZ) and reliable(so far)80km/h AF18 for my Dio which i'm more than happy with at the moment for when I want to have a bit more fun ;)

Have a chat to eclarke, he's done some awesome research and he knows that trying to get the words spree, quick, cheap and reliable aren't all that easy to put into the same sentence with positive connotations ;)
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Cheap and reliable is not possible I tried and im very resourceful. Now I tend to slather myself in the expensive high quality parts. Life is easier that way for me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Cheapest you can do, is a Kitaco intake, Mikuni carb setup, and 48mm BBK.

You MUST address the intake problems on the Spree to get anywhere with anything. I actually have a theory that the STOCK carb can possibly be used with the BBK successfully by just changing the intake for a Kitaco, and use an adapter to fit the stock carb to the Kitaco. Then and only then after the intake is changed, should you switch to a pod filter. Add up the cost on that. It's cheap, and will get you to 35 reliably and very quick.

I do realize I am not talking about your specific case, you of course, have the DIO adapter. The kitaco with a coupler for the stock carb is the cheapest most effective route when installing a BBK. Anything more then that is very possible... but.......... "IT'LL COST YA". That's when you have to step back for a moment and ask if it's really worth it .vs your other options.
stevespree7
Goped
Goped

Post by stevespree7 »

i have 15 bikes. its not in this for a reliable what not... its for the challenge. plus i have 3 spree motors so why not? i can go back to bone stock when ever?... which i wont because the dio intake, reeds, 22 mm carb and MLM make the bike. id sell it other wize.... i'd have to at least port the stock cylinder with and expansion chamber.

if you have no skill, then i wouldn't touch it. lol I live in a location where moped modding is quite popular. and competition is a big deal. sprees are controversial, (since mopeders hate scooters) and they are typically slow. just think if i show up on a spree that fuggin rips? And yes, i know about the elite motor swap. I have one.

also , all my bikes are worth more than the spree. so id rather learn mods on the spree. also, information is all over the internet on HOW TO BALANCE CRANK. why would there be tons of info and videos on this topic if it wasn't a real thing?

think about this, the counter weight of the spree is set for a lighter piston, adding a heavier piston my 30 grams (a s*** ton) is going to throw off balance. hence balancing crank would be a good idea

tons of info of people doing this on internet, videos of racers in leather doing this on video next to a * race track!? what more proof do you need? and if doing it incorrect is your only issue, isn't that what practice is for?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

I do not think anyone is saying it cant be done. I think people are saying you are just wasting your time for the reward that wont be worth near the effort.
Imo

Also just because guys in leather tell you to do something you may not always wanna do it.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I say Go for it, Steve7! I hope to see copious pics of the outcome.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Joemeyster3k
Noob
Noob

Post by Joemeyster3k »

New to this so excuse my ignorance you said to just throw the stock motor out and put something better in. What is the best motor option to use as many existing parts (wiring exc) as possible on the bike and run well? I need more speed simply because the majority of the speeds around town are 30_35mph with major Hills need new gears as well anyone habe some for sale. Thank you all
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

There are a few options. None of them are without some level of fabrication work. There isnt an option that is absolute "plug-n-play" for the Spree. While there is a handful of motor swaps that require zero changes to the wiring harness except for splicing plug connections, basically all of them require cutting/welding up a motor mount and/or shock relocation bracket. Also, some will also require trimming of the Spree body panels to accommodate the new mill.

The answer youre looking for depends on a few factors. Performance goals, budget, parts availability and the amount of fabrication work youre willing to do. The Spree is a very simple platform to swap motors in/out of for those with even moderate mechanical skills. For those that have never changed a tire, done an oil change or even knows where the blinker fluid goes....it should not be attempted.

First ask yourself what your budget is...then double it. That'll get you close.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
SpreeorDie85
Goped
Goped

Post by SpreeorDie85 »

I guess I should feel blessed. My 84 does 30-32 flat and 35 down hill, sometimes I feel like it could go 40 if the hill was long enough lol. All stock just a good carb cleaning, plugs. etc.
surfnspree
Noob
Noob

Post by surfnspree »

Meatball wrote:While there is a handful of motor swaps that require zero changes to the wiring harness except for splicing plug connections
first post on the forum here and figured i'd try to address my question using search function instead of new topic... wasn't able to find the info i wanted and saw other posts that suggested it is easier to simply use a dio harness?!

i have a complete stock nifty spree and SYM dd50 motor. have motor mount (dj1r?) and frame is re-enforced + new shock mount is welded. also added elite S hub to front forks. will post pics

what exactly do i need to do to stock spree harness in order to make it compatible w/ SYM dd50 engine? simply splice harness wires so they can link w/ dd50 engine harness?