Honda spree crank mods. Ya done em? Check out mine.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Honda spree crank mods. Ya done em? Check out mine.

Post by Meatball »

surfnspree wrote: simply splice harness wires so they can link w/ dd50 engine harness?
YES! The plug connectors will be different and quite possibly the wire colors(not 100% sure of DD50 colors). The DJ1 motor mount will work on the Spree frame once its cut down(easy), just follow the wiki walk-through here: http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... _Swap_Info

Also, the DD50 may have larger inner diameter mount bushings than the DJ1 motor mount has. The easy fix here is to insert a metal sleeve into your motor mount bushings before installing. The sleeves are the same pieces found on the belt cover that is used for alignment. Perfect fit. DO NOT try to drill out your mount as suggested at the bottom of the wiki...use the metal sleeves with the Spree Motor Mount Bolt!

Metal sleeve (dowel) is #16 on this diagram. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... side-cover
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
surfnspree
Noob
Noob

Post by surfnspree »

Meatball wrote:
surfnspree wrote: simply splice harness wires so they can link w/ dd50 engine harness?
YES! The plug connectors will be different and quite possibly the wire colors(not 100% sure of DD50 colors). The DJ1 motor mount will work on the Spree frame once its cut down(easy), just follow the wiki walk-through here: http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... _Swap_Info

Also, the DD50 may have larger inner diameter mount bushings than the DJ1 motor mount has. The easy fix here is to insert a metal sleeve into your motor mount bushings before installing. The sleeves are the same pieces found on the belt cover that is used for alignment. Perfect fit. DO NOT try to drill out your mount as suggested at the bottom of the wiki...use the metal sleeves with the Spree Motor Mount Bolt!

Metal sleeve (dowel) is #16 on this diagram. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... side-cover
thanks for the very informative post, meatball! i snooped around other threads and people made it seem like it was an arduous task.

:2thumbs: great idea with the dowel sleeve!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Also keep in mind, this swap will render your center stand un-usable. The new mount will require the use of a side stand. There is a bolt-on kit that fits the Spree frame perfectly shipped from Japan or if you are handy with a welder you can cobble one together.

Heres a few ideas people have come up with: http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Side_Stands
surfnspree
Noob
Noob

Post by surfnspree »

yep i have chrome sidestand already but from past experience thought you have to modify it a bit since the clamp is intended for a bit larger diameter frame tube. also have longer rear brake cable as well!
Oregonspreerider
Noob
Noob

Post by Oregonspreerider »

I got a crank mod for you ......... so my splines on my crankshaft were completely gone and i was forced to use a drill to cross thread a nut on so tight that it would actually hold the sprocket on tight enough to make contact with the belt and turn the clutch and spin the wheel. So needless to say there was no more starting my spree conventionaly and i was using a drill to start it but every time i did a little bit more of the nut and shaft were getting eaten away (oh well the shaft is toast anyway )so eventually the nut became so stripped that it fell off and i was back to square one no way to start my scoot so im walking home from work a couple days later and happen to find a bike peg in the road and as i looked it over it hit me if i could attach that to my crankshaft i could wrap a string around it give it a good tug and walla my scoot would start . So i go home remove the sprocket and the pulley behind it ,drill out the bike peg as well as cut it in half to reduce the weight and slpped on my shaft stuck the welding tip in and gave it a good tack and slid the belt over the peg and wouldnt you know it the god dam thing works (even better than it did before) i dont know if its better to be good or lucky but i think im a little of both i will try to post a pic of my hack job tomorrow let me know if anyone has any input or criticisms for me im happy to listen
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Oregonspreerider wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:25 am i will try to post a pic of my hack job tomorrow let me know if anyone has any input or criticisms for me im happy to listen

Spree couldnt start before...Spree starts now

It doesnt matter the hack job used. Thats great! Keep scootin’.