1994 Elite S Airbox Tab

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

schwarz633
BMX
BMX

1994 Elite S Airbox Tab

Post by schwarz633 »

Is this the tab that needs to be removed? The PO had drilled (9) 1/4" holes, but I want to fill those with JB Weld and remove the tab that I've read about.
DCP_0409R.jpg
DCP_0409R.jpg (75.47 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
bonesv

Re: 1994 Elite S Airbox Tab

Post by bonesv »

The holes drilled into the cover are going to produce more noise than plugging them and cutting out the 2nd tab as you have pointed out. But not by much. The real issue is getting the carburetor correctly jetted. Read the spark plug for clues as to what the current jetting is. In my opinion the holes do not really matter so much as the correct jetting does. You can leave them and not cut out the tab because the incoming air is still passing thru the filter. Be sure the filter is well oiled and clean regularly. Try an #80 main jet.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Wheelman-111

Re: 1994 Elite S Airbox Tab

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I will second Mr. Bones on the air box noise! With the engine running, anyone with a stock air box is invited to loosen the 5 screws that secure the cover and pop it off. The dBs flat-out double with it off. Plus Honda-san's carb design is calibrated to the intake opening size in the box, not a random collection of holes. Block 'em and do it Honda's intended way.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH