Spree with Ruckus Controls HELP

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Spree with Ruckus Controls HELP

Post by R1Titan911 »

Ok, wiring up my Spree harness to my Ruck Controls. I thought I had it right but please correct me if I am wrong WHEELMAN WHERE YOU AT!

11' Ruckus:
Green/Yellow: Brake Switch
Yellow/Green: to ECU (Says CDI on the diagram)
Black/Red: to ECU (Says Battery, on the controls its to "OFF" switch up)
Black/White: to ECU (Says Co... can't really read it but on the switch its to "RUN" switch down)

87' Spree:
Yellow/Red: Starter Button (To Starter Relay)
Green: Ground (Grounds the Starter button and grounds the "OFF" switch in both switch Up & Down)
Black/White: Ignition/CDI (on the controls is to "RUN" switch middle)

Spree doesn't use Brake switch recognition. What do I need to do to bypass the "brake switch engaged, OK to start". Ruckus brake switch goes to all *. and i don't need it....
I thought i had it right by wiring up the same as i saw on each controls. The caveat was that the Ruckus GROUND TO KILL is Black/Red and the Spree GROUND TO KILL is Green...

Horn & signals work so the ignition switch is working properly, just no starter. Anything else that needs to be checked for ground?Maybe the CDI to Frame?

Looking for a simple solution. Any assistance it greatly appreciated.

Wheelman-111

Re: Spree with Ruckus Controls HELP

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I am proud of the little I have learned about these endearing little scooters, but few people know Less than me about their wiring. I still test for current with my tongue. The Man you want is Mousewheels, who studies wiring diagrams like I studied Playboy magazines. If you can get your hands on the wiring schematics of both scoots and multicolor Hi-Lighters, it can begin to make sense when you hybridize the two.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Yes i originally did that and color lined each diagram with my fancy editing tools. I believe i had it right the first time as the start button and kill switch is a pretty simple concept. I think i didn't have a ground connected properly, so i worked backwards some to make sure all my grounds were attached, grinding paint off as necessary. I will give it a go again sometime this week.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Just a couple of questions for you R1... How did you have it connected? And what was it doing? Crank but no fire, no crank ect

Looks to me like if you connect Gn/Y from the rukus controls to Ye/R on the spree, Bl/Wh to Bl/Wh, and connect the Ye/Gn AND the Bl/R from the rukus to the Gn on the spree harness you should be gold ;)
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

That is a brave thing to do swap ruck controls to a spree, but hey why not. Wiring diagrams are one of my favorite parts of service manuals. Once you get your head aro7nd them you are golden. I had to decode the wiring diagram for my Pontiac Montana SV6 right after Christmas, saved my bacon let me tell you. Same thing on the scoots
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

This is how I connected them.
Ruck : Spree
Bl/w : Bl/w
Y/g : Y/r
Gr : Gr/y
Bl/r : Gr (I put this to ground to complete the circuit since the Spree does not have an ECU)

So the Ruck kill switch Bl/w & Bl/r both go to the ECU.
The Spree kill switch is just Bl/w & Gr (The kill switch ground ties into the ground on the start button)

The ruck controls when in "run" has the circuit closed with the Bl/w & Bl/r so I assume open circuit kills the bike on the ruck.

That is why I spliced the Br/r to my ground to make it like the spree. But since my start button is "always hot" it works with the kill switch in either position. Need to figure out how to loop it. Ruck has independent wires for both the controls and start button, where the Spree ground just grounds to the control housing. As of right now, my kill switch is my key. BUT SHE TURNS OVER!

Ill try the way ultraliner mentioned, maybe that's the ticket. Stand by for updates.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Check this out. Made a quick sketch to try and see it better. lol
Thinking i need to ground the start button to the brake switch like the Ruck has them but now sure if it will not work if the brake lights are not on/installed to complete the circuit... Your thoughts?
Last edited by R1Titan911 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

I am dyslexic and looking at this makes me want to cry if you figure this ot please post pictures because I just got ruck controls off someone about to do this mod. It would be of alot of help to me. If it was me tbh I would just have the bike running and leave wires loose and touch them around until everything worked. Take a pic and soilder them up.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Love those charts, pics and graphics you post, Titan. Makes understanding things simple. If you get this figured out, PLEASE post up final results since Ruck control swaps/naked bars seem to be gaining traction.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Yea im just going to try the start button to the brake switch ground and try. Still have to trim my taillight plastics and paints it before i get the rear lights wired up. Notice that my noise maker flashy relay thing, makes the clicky noise then i signal right, but not left... HRRMMM :*: Maybe i have to install the rear lights to complete the circuit... dunno!
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Nice diagram r1!! Looking at this and now knowing that you had the bike cranking but not starting would suggest something with the kill switch, and connecting it the way i've suggested wont give you any different results, the only difference being the polarity of the start button which just being a NO contact(closing to crank)wont make any difference.

I cant remember if the spree kill switches(the version that came out in NZ dosent have a kill switch)opens or grounds the CDI to allow spark. Might be worth trying just disconnecting the Bl/W wire from the kill switch and testing to see if you have spark. If the switch is operating in the reverse polarity then you'll have no spark in the run position.

Pretty sure you'll nut this out, so close!
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Ultraliner wrote:Nice diagram r1!! Looking at this and now knowing that you had the bike cranking but not starting would suggest something with the kill switch,
The bike is not in any condition to "start". I just wanted to make sure it would crank lol. I dont even have the fuel lines hooked up to try and start it. I had no intentions of starting it, just a systems check to see if the starter would bump with the button pressed :lol:

What pops up in my memory archives is that you ground to kill it. Does that sound right?
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Scratch my last post because when i got home, i went to wrench'n, and if you're following my build, i just updated & SHE RUNS! :b2t:

So the way i had my wires are SEMI correct. i just have to swap my Bl/R and Bl/W and ill be golden. Bike ran in off, and killed it in run lol. Just bassackwards. I left everything else the same. Will not turn over unless the key is on AND either of the brakes are engaged. :woot: The reverse kill switch isn't even bothering me that much, she runs so my bloods pump'n!