Spree Clutch Springs

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Spree Clutch Springs

Post by Meatball »

What are the options available for tighter springs on the stock Spree clutch? Looking to increase the rpm's a bit for better take-offs.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Re: Spree Clutch Springs

Post by jakubman1 »

Yea man same here i heard yamaha Jogs fit if you cut em? hmmmm
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yamaha Jog springs fit just fine, no cutting needed. You'd want the 2000rpm springs for the 12T and 13T gear, and probably the 2500rpm springs for the 15T. Though I haven't tested the 2500rpm springs yet, but I will soon.

Edit: I used the Leo Vince Jog springs in mine, the blue are way too low, they grabbed at 1500 on the tach, the red ones will grab at slightly over 1800. Yellow are the 2500rpm ones, though I don't know yet at what rpms they grab at, but will report back when I test them.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Wheres the best place to get ahold of those? Probably want a kit with 3 strengths to toy with. Also, Im not looking to wait until July to get them so if theres somewhere that has them in the US that'd be nice.

Hows this one look? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MRP-Clutch-Spri ... BM&vxp=mtr
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

The ones I got came from the UK. If you can get them from a US seller, all the better. Looking at the ones in the link you posted, I'd say they are too weak for what your looking for. The highest rpms ones he sells are only 2000rpm springs.

EDIT: Shoot me your address in private message and I'll send you some 2500rpm Leo Vince Springs. I was going to use them in my Spree, but I have that on the back burner for now. My son has been using the TaoTao so the Spree is semi-retired and stored away as I continuously transform it into a show bike. I still plan on also using the high setting Leo Vince springs, but I'm not making it a priority as the Spree isn't a bike that will be used much. You can try them out for yourself and report back how they work out. I plan on ordering more from the UK later on.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

pm..
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

are these any good ? I want some jog sprngs too ! for stock motor !

https://www.amazon.com/Hoca-1P40QMB-1E5 ... ch+springs
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

HOCA isn't a bad brand, in fact, many of the parts on my TaoTao are HOCA, but those springs only go up to 2000rpm as well. They would work, but you'd want to use the stiffest springs in the set, the other 2 would be useless.

The reason being, is a stock Spree is supposed to idle at 1800 rpm +/-100 rpm. If you put 1000 or 1500 rpm springs in, your clutch is gonna bite before you even get up to idle speed, robbing you of take off power and putting unnecessary strain on the clutch pads. With 2000 rpm springs, like I stated above, it will start to bite just a bit over 1800rpm, which is the perfect spot to be in. If the carb is tuned right, as soon as you twist the throttle, you go. For a more aggressive launch, you'd want the 2500rpm.

Personally, I'd like to find some 3000rpm springs for those higher Taz gears, but I have been unable to find any, so it looks like 2500rpm is the max your stuck with.

I sent you a link in PM where to find them, but I'll post it again here for reference

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331475908975
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

ORDER !
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

As an added unrelated side note. If the springs were used in an actual Yamaha Jog, they would engage even higher in the power band then they do on a Spree. This is more then likely because of the weight differences. But, it is what it is when it comes to replacing Spree springs. Would be nice though if they engaged the same as they do on a Minarelli engine.

You'd probably be able to get by using 1500rpm or 2000rpm springs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3cPG4b8CgQ
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

One other option to stronger springs is to remove material from the clutch pivots, albeit a non-reversible option.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

If you need to tune your air/fuel mix, new springs is a great helper.

Tuning with the 2000 rpm springs is super easy. I'd start with those first before trying the 2500 rpm springs.

All you need to do, is place the (2000rpm) springs in, then set your idle mix screw at 1 and 1/2 turns and the fast idle (make sure bike is warm first), as low as you can get it without killing the bike. Then adjust the air/fuel mix screw till you get the highest idle, then back it off 1/8th a turn. That should be the PERFECT setting for your idle mix.

Next, turn the fast idle in till the back wheel just starts to turn. On the 2000rpm Leo Vince springs, that will be just right over 1800rpm. The wheel should turn, but you should be able to stop it by putting your foot on it, or even your hand (careful). You can back it off just a bit if you like to stop the spinning, but as long as it spins and you can stop it, your fine.

Try that out first and see how you like it. If your not satisfied, then try the yellow 2500rpm springs. No need to adjust your carb as it should be perfect from the last settings with the 2000rpm springs.

Otherwise, if you know your carb is already set right, then skip the tuning steps and just install the springs. The yellow springs should not be spinning at 1800rpm idle, they should be engaging higher up in the power band.