85 Spree top end speed

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

mjwagoner
Noob
Noob

85 Spree top end speed

Post by mjwagoner »

I bought an 85 Spree 2 years ago for $50. I recently took the time to get it running and it runs great. Although it does go lean under WOT. I'm certain I can tune that out of it though. My problem is that when my girlfriend saw how much fun it was she wanted one for herself. I picked up a nice 88 elite for her. I expected it it be a little faster on the top side but I certainly didn't expect 10mph faster! I'm a guy. I can't have my girl beating me! My Spree tops out at 25 while she is pulling 35. Unacceptable! Lol. I understand that a bbk is only gonna get me to 25 quicker. I need some gearing. What are my options here? I know someone on here can understand my dilemma. I need help! Thanks for any and all input.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 85 Spree top end speed

Post by eclark5483 »

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Step 1: Get the Spree running right

Step 2: Sell the Spree

Step 3: Make the 1-1/2hr drive and buy THIS bike https://up.craigslist.org/mcd/6063650386.html ....(its way overpriced but its the closest one I could find to your location at the moment. Talk them down on price)

Step 4: put a new variator and gears on it (about $130)

Step 5: See Girlfriend get smaller in rear-view mirror as youre doing about 50.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Meatball wrote:Step 1: Get the Spree running right

Step 2: Sell the Spree

Step 3: Make the 1-1/2hr drive and buy THIS bike https://up.craigslist.org/mcd/6063650386.html ....(its way overpriced but its the closest one I could find to your location at the moment. Talk them down on price)

Step 4: put a new variator and gears on it (about $130)

Step 5: See Girlfriend get smaller in rear-view mirror as youre doing about 50.
This. Or paint the Spree pink, give it to her, and take the Elite back. Seriously... buying your gf a faster bike than yours.

Aside from that, last time I was there MI was chock full of Honda scooters. You should be able to find something.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

step one. stay the fack away from the dang spree bbk. its garbage !!
step 2 repeat step 1
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

It's garbage if you do it wrong. Drove mine to the next town and back wide open the entire way. Not one bit of trouble.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The OP wanted to go FASTER than his GF's variated Elite. That's why I suggested an Elite with mods. No doubt you can throw a bunch of money at a Spree motor and get it AS FAST.....just not FASTER than.

Im not claiming any motors, BBK's or bikes are junk. Its just that the Spree (with a laundry list of parts) has its limitations around the 40-43mph area. That's where the Elite is in stock form.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Meatball is correct, you can get a Spree engine to go just as fast, but for the money it takes, and the effort involved, you're better off swaping engines, or buying a different scoot.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Lean on wot is bad... Lol of you have an 85 it should go 28. I bet if you go through the motor with a fine tooth comb you will get a few mph more out it when it is working as it should. And I bet the drive belt is worn out and that will rob you of a couple mph. Its not a lot but it's better than nuthin'. A cheap way to get a little more in the power dept if you want is to swap the stock 85 dished piston for the domed replacement. A fresh piston and rings would probably do it good anyway if you are going to keep it. The 84 85 heads and the 86 87 piston is a good combo
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock