Taking the next step with my SA50.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

pickardracing
Noob
Noob

Taking the next step with my SA50.

Post by pickardracing »

Hi guys. Apologies up front if my questions have been asked before, but there's a lot of info here to try and sort through in a timely manner.

I currently ride a nice little SA50 Elite S back and forth to work that I picked up last year. I performed the exhaust and clutch limiter mods a couple weeks after I bought it and on a decent day I can get about 37MPH out of it.

Got the bike out a couple weeks ago and with 2700 miles on it, it might be time to start thinking about a refresh, however, I'd like to get this thing going a little faster. I commute about 8 miles one way to work, and 75% of that is rural 55MPH roads. I'd like to find a solid, reliable way to get this thing to run those speeds so I'm not getting beeped at and coal rolled (yes, it's true) every day.

For those of you with experience, what would you suggest?
bonesv

Re: Taking the next step with my SA50.

Post by bonesv »

You should have also re-jetted the carb to a 78 main jet to better match the new flow from removing the exhaust restriction. A better variator and a set of 9:1 gears will get you closer to 50 but you will need some heavier clutch springs and a little bit lighter roller weights in the variator to get the 0-10 mph take-off you want similar to the 12:1 stock gears.
Please do search these items for better clarification and welcome to the world of tuning. If you get your scooter running better and then decide to go to a bigger cylinder, you will have some experience with tuning the transmission, and thus you will avoid potential down-time and frustration. Good luck with it!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
esmugala
Noob
Noob

Post by esmugala »

I have a 72cc malossi cast bore kit, 9:1 gears, aftermarket variator, and a V8 exhaust and I hit around 55mph. Mine is obviously more built for low-mid range power but to get 55mph it takes a good bit of work. This is is with the stock airbox and stock carburetor as well because noise is a pretty big factor for me.
pickardracing
Noob
Noob

Post by pickardracing »

How do you guys feel about this for starters?

https://scooterswapshop.com/collections ... it-stage-1
coppah37
BMX
BMX

Post by coppah37 »

That's a solid starter kit. SSS is an awesome place to buy parts from. I've built 2 sa50s and a couple other mopeds. My current one can get mid 70s fairly easy. You should invest in a trailtech vapor gauge so you can track more engine variables. At the very least you should have a CHT gauge. I'm guessing you're probably running hot if you haven't rejetted the carb after you drilled the exhaust out. If you plan on swapping the piston out for a new one just do yourself a favor and buy a big bore kit. I'm a fan of the polini contessa or corsa. You can run the stock exhaust and carb setup on the big bore and see a little bit of uphill power gained. Then when you save enough buy a carb and exhaust to take advantage of it. Thats how I end up building every scoot I've had and it allows you to build affordably and ride it between mods.