Exhaust options

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Exhaust options

Post by Jonadz »

So next thing I think I need to address is the spree exhaust. Bike is an 85 with 48mm currently "breaking" in.
I've used the search option here and asked on a Facebook group as well but have dead ended at the MLM pipe. Is that seriously the only after market exhaust available? I've seen others in random google pics but unclear as to whether they are custom jobs or well
kept secrets. Pretty sure I need a new exhaust if not even just a stock in good working order. I feel like my current exhaust is opposite of the normal problem. I have zero to minimal carbon build up but feel I also don't have any baffles or restriction if it's supposed to be there. I've read all these topics on "tuned" exhausts and feel mine is just a hollow shell. I can literally hold the manifold piece two inches from my mouth and lightly blow with an open mouth and blow out a lighter held 4 inches past the outlet. Is this normal? Is the tuning of these exhausts so minimal there's such minimal restriction it seems to not exist at all? Sorry for the long post that's probably been covered but I'm still the Newb around here.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Exhaust options

Post by Meatball »

The stock exhaust has 3 chambers inside of it. The exhaust gasses must travel through this labyrinth of walls and tubes to reach the exit. This design not only muffles the sound but also has the correct balance of flow and back pressure needed for a stock motor to operate at an optimal level at ALL rpm ranges. The aftermarket "tuned" exhausts are designed to be optimal in a specific rpm range, typically in the high rpm range. Basically, if you have a bore kit that has peak HP/TQ at 7k rpm's, you need a pipe with the same peak range or close to it.

The MLM is the only pipe for the Spree that is still available. There used to be others many years ago but all have been out of production for quite some time. The only way you could get one of those is if someone is selling one from their private stash. Somebody was selling a Leo Vince pipe on here about 10 months ago and it was sold before I could even click on it.

Keep in mind, if you install a spree bbk ($100) you need an MLM pipe....and a carb, reeds, intake, pod filter, etc....youre looking at another $400 at least to get that to run right. Makes that $250-$300 motor swap (that will outperform a kitted Spree) a better choice.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

I see Meatball, thanks for the information. So now I need to use the search function and do my research into full swaps for the future. Dangit!
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Should my stock exhaust feel as it has virtually no resistance through it or any suggestions on how to test if that's even possible.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Dude stay away from those cheap spree bbk.

Listen to meatballs.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Jakubman, so I've heard, problem is it's already done. Hoping for better results than others.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Ok. I have a mlm pipe on my stock spree now. I noticed that my take off suffered but around 15mph it pulls nicely.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

jakubman1 wrote:Ok. I have a mlm pipe on my stock spree now. I noticed that my take off suffered but around 15mph it pulls nicely.
Like I mentioned above...most aftermarket pipes are "tuned" to perform (better than stock pipes) at higher rpm's.....lower rpm's, not so much. Big bore kits, transmission and clutch tuning make the low rpm lag a non-issue.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.