Post big bore tuning+all my Newb questions

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Post big bore tuning

Post by eclark5483 »

Don't mind Jakub, he would have seized up 3 pistons by now. I'm sure he'd for sure be able to tell you what NOT to do though. He's pretty good at it. Just press forward and show him you CAN do it just to drive him crazy. :-P
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Well I think I figured out my horrible noise.... Drive gear is shearing from the drive pulley.... Metal shavings everywhere and a nice wiggle in the pulley made worse by higher rpm. Sheesh!
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Think I'm going to have to hunt down another!

Rebuilt my old carb and still not able to get a leaner condition, can't maintain idle w/o throttle. throwing in the towel for tonight and I'll get back at it after work tomorrow.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (196.89 KiB) Viewed 6469 times
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Whoa, ya that's not good. Otherwise, it seems as if you were getting there. Plug looked good. That explains the problems you were describing to a T. Man, what a bummer. Looks like you'll either have to do that engine swap, or hunt down another Spree engine. I don't think (and I'm not sure, maybe the other guy's know), that this can be fixed. When Spree cranks go, you don't replace them, you just replace the engine.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Yea I didn't know what I was getting into until I just searched around for crankshafts, looks like a pain. Have to split the case and a lot of other stuff I'm not familiar with. Can get a few used replacements online, flea bay has a few, just not sure I want to keep investing in this thing at the moment. Having registration issues at the moment to because my wife's aunt lost the title, $150 and a state patrol inspection just to make it street legal. Always something that goes wrong lol
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Yup, the ol' shredded crank splines. I wrecked an Elite motor the same way last Summer. Good thing Memorial Day is upon us because that baby is dead now.

Not to worry, I have an 85' Spree motor sitting here just waiting for you. It even has TAZ hi-speed gears already installed! PM if interested.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

PM sent meatball, first pm I've sent on here so not sure I I did it right hahaha!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yeah, you'll like those TAZ gears. Like I said before, you were ALMOST there. Just stay with my previous advise on the pump and tank oil ratios, swap that engine for meatball's, you'll be golden and hitting 40+mph no sweat. If you go with meatball's stuff, further advise, unless he has already done it for you, is swap out the clutch springs for YELLOW Leo Vince Jog springs. I actually wanna see you succeed mainly to P off Jakub... not that I have anything against him, but he has been on a cynical vendetta tirade against TAZ and his BBK kit ever since he "F"'d up his own attempts. The BBK is solid, it just takes special care and tuning to get it right. I got it right, I wanna see more people also get it right and report success. Your issues are CLEARLY not BBK related, so don't give up!!!
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Haha I'm not gonna be mad. I just don't see the point in spending sooo much money only to go 40mph.

I have a stock cylinder with sb50 intake and the mlm people pipe and I got 36mph.
Then I have the spreedio which can go 60+ mph with a contessa bbk.

Now I have a corsa I'm about to get ported to "drag" level. Whatever that is.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Isnt there a way to weld your pulley on the crank splines? I know its rigging it but just a suggestion
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

I've seen a few success stories on that jakubman, though I currently have it back together and working just took some impact wrench. I plan on meeting up with Meatball this weekend regardless and picking up a whole new setup. Can't beat the price on what he's offering me.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Meatballs will take care of it
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

I'm crossing my fingers I can make it out to his place this weekend but may have to postpone until next, either way I'll be meeting him soon!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

He's a smart guy. Always good to collaborate with others and learn from their own mistakes. We all make them. If captain hind-site was here to save my day, I would have probably saved almost a grand in labor and research costs. My hope is that my costly mistakes, end up saving other people their own money and hardships. I took one for the team in the name of science and discovery to give my own opinion on how it's to be done properly. Meatball has been following along from the start, he won't steer you wrong.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Youre money/effort was not wasted. It catapulted a somewhat stale progression on unlocking to potential of the Spree motor. Specifically with the TAZ bore. Youve proven possible what many have attempted and failed (myself included) and has been said cant be done. Hats off to you for trudging onward towards your goal and ultimately becoming successful. Ive learned a lot from your crusades. SCOOT ON!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.