Issues with tuning

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Polarisxlt96
Noob
Noob

Issues with tuning

Post by Polarisxlt96 »

So to start off here is my setup:
2001 Elite Polini corsa,
Piarel exhaust,
stage 6 intake,
Polini 24mm carb with 40PJ and 116 main,
needle one clip lean,
zx trans,
Polini variator,
currently running 5g weights,
yellow contra spring,
stage 6 clutch,
16x42 gear.
I cannot get this thing to run right for the life of me.
In order to get a solid idle, I have to run a 45 pilot with the screw about 2 turns out, but when it sits and idles, it loads up and spits when you go to take off.
The 40 fixes that, but then seems to run a bit lean when cruising at about 40.
It's definitely running a bit hot, but no matter what I do, I cannot get this thing to run at 100%
It will max out at about 55 mph, and I get a weird noise coming from the carb while maintaining 45 mph, and starts to get hot.
I've made sure everything is sealed with no air leaks on the intake side.
Is there something I'm over-looking here?
Any input is much appreciated. Thanks, David.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Issues with tuning

Post by Meatball »

Tuning can sure be a pain. Much like playing poker, it takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master. When Ive spent several hours,days,weeks and tried countless combinations with no success I wipe a clean slate and start from scratch. Using throttle tape to see position helps but not necessary. Start with the pilot/idle jet in conjunction with the mixture screw to find the sweet spot for throttle response. It must be able to blip cleanly from idle to half throttle and promptly return to idle. Get this dialed before moving onto needle.

When playing with needle adjustments from 1/4-3/4 throttle, you may need to back up and make slight pilot or screw adjustments. Get this dialed before moving onto Main Jet.

When playing with Main jet sizes, monitoring temps and doing plug chops are the best way Ive found.

Other factors that can throw a wrench in the works is fuel/oil mixture, air filter type, wrong exhaust type, humidity, elevation, etc...

Im surely not telling anyone here something new with all this. These guidelines are simply the basics. The scoot always gives subtle clues to which circuit needs adjustment. Having that "trained ear" and knowing what to tweak comes with many years of trial and error (which I dont claim to have). Unfortunately, every bike is different and nobody can tell you exactly what to do. Just dont give up, reflect on the adjustments made and their results, take notes and keep a log, document everything....and dont forget that this is fun!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

Polarisxlt96 wrote: I cannot get this thing to run right for the life of me.
In order to get a solid idle, I have to run a 45 pilot with the screw about 2 turns out, but when it sits and idles, it loads up and spits when you go to take off.
The 40 fixes that, but then seems to run a bit lean when cruising at about 40.
It's definitely running a bit hot, but no matter what I do, I cannot get this thing to run at 100%
I am collecting this kind of feedback from everyone before I embark on my Polini Corsa install. I'll be watching to see what combo you find to be proven and working smoothly. :)
2001 Honda Elite S (De-restricted)
|Prodigy Variator w/ 9g weights|De-restricted Exhaust|Oil Pump Delete|1.5k Center Clutch Spring|2k Clutch Grabbers|.88 Main Jet|2nd Airbox Tab Removed|9:1 gears|49mph GPS confirmed|
GuavaJam
Spree
Spree

Post by GuavaJam »

I couldn't tune my polini cp on my corsa. Lotta people say okos suck, but I put on an oko and bam! There was also a batch of defective polini carbs too.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I love my oko!
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I ran a 110-112mj with my 24 on my corsa. that pipe is new to me so not sure if that will affect you. have you tried going lower with your main? what does it do. have you tried raising the mj? what happens? I am running a 118 on my corsa with a 26mm polini. and I can blast the * out of it all day long and not hit 370. but from my past experience with the 24 it was great right around 110 that is with a lower spinning pipe though.
I had a similar situation early on with this 26 and If i made the needle richer it solved it. from my experience if its spitting like that(assuming it was doing what mine was doing) my bike was lean. I tried recently to lean out my needle one notch and it spit the first time I took off. thats a killer build set up and should be a beast once dialed in. if your only hitting 55 something is a miss. im hitting 60s with an arrow and I know your pipe with spin more rpms than mine. and mine isnt completely tuned right

oh another thing is you might have better luck with a red contra over that yellow one. almost all zx trans ive seen run the red.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY