Hondabond as a crankcase and gear seal?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Buntongm
Noob
Noob

Hondabond as a crankcase and gear seal?

Post by Buntongm »

Hi all, i was wondering if anyone has had any success or failures using Hondabond HT as a crankcase gasket or a final gear cover gasket? Im a honda car mechanic and use it all the time on car engines but was wondering how well they work on these 2 stroke engines?
Wheelman-111

Re: Hondabond as a crankcase and gear seal?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The AF16 engines actually specify a bead of Hondabond to join the case halves. Acetone the surfaces and it should be just fine.

However the gasket thickness - even if it's just a few tenths of a mm - is necessary for the AF05 cases, otherwise the flywheels may rub. It's also factored into the end play of the gear shafts on both engines. Without that shim, the countershaft will bind for sure, and maybe the axle too.

Gaskets are still available for the 16, at least for now. A Handy guy could probably make one using the covers as a template on some AutoParts gasket paper.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Buntongm
Noob
Noob

Re: Hondabond as a crankcase and gear seal?

Post by Buntongm »

Thanks wheelman im new to the 2 stroke scooter world, i have experience with dirtbikes and cars but not with these cvts. I already put everything back together yesterday using hondabond ht. I have an 88 af05 block from an sa50 and put reduced gears in the rear. Thanks for your response!