Variator De-Restrict Possibility for SE50P?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

laughatthemall
Noob
Noob

Variator De-Restrict Possibility for SE50P?

Post by laughatthemall »

I have read up about de-restricting the variator with a new ramp plate on the SE50P. As I have yet to find a decent SE50 ramp plate, I am wondering if this might be a decent solution:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282473183283

If so, should I use only the plate, or swap the variator as well? Anyone have some input on this? All I found through searching was someone saying they did this on their SE50P, but it appeared to decrease acceleration. Wondering if anyone can confirm/deny that. Thanks for any input you can provide!
motormike

Re: Variator De-Restrict Possibility for SE50P?

Post by motormike »

FWIW... that ramp plate looks to be extremely mild, and not much (if any) different than what is OEM. I'd save your time and money and go with the proven changes that are found in this forum's content.
Sorry I don't know a specific thread to link...try our Search feature... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
laughatthemall
Noob
Noob

Post by laughatthemall »

I did use the search, and found someone posting that they used it for the SE50P and got a noticeable increase in speed. I also read about using either Polini or OEM SE50 plates, but can't find either around the 'net. This was pretty much my next best choice. I'm also trying to figure out where, if anywhere, I might be able to get the stock SE50 gear that is different between the two.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Koso brand isn't a bad variator, especially at that price. See the lugs that protrude above the variator cylinder? They allow a little extra movement of the variator - squeezing the belt closer to the rim of the fixed pulley sheave, giving "taller" overdrive at the belt. If your engine has enough power to push, the scooter should go faster. Stock SE/05 engine power can approach 45MPH in my experience.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Typical clueless Ebay seller...the title says "Sport PerformancÔÇïe Racing Variator for Honda DIO 50 ZX50 SE50 SK50 SA50 SR XR
"
Would somebody like to explain how it could fit all of these models?

If Im not mistaken, the OP is looking for a variator for his SE50. Either this fits the DIO, ZX50, SA50...OR it fits the SE50.....CANT DO BOTH! Different crankshaft diameter for these models. He provides a dimension for the center hole of the variator pulley....but NOT the center hole of the ramp plate. Which is what you need to know. Dont buy this. It likely wont fit your SE50.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Meatball makes a good point, one I neglected. Scooterwerx once posted using a press to take up the 2mm gap between the skinny 10mm Aero crank and the 12mm AF16 ramp plate hole.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
laughatthemall
Noob
Noob

Post by laughatthemall »

eBay has a pretty nice return policy. If he listed it as working for the SE50, and it doesn't, he can have it back -- on his dime. I'm gonna see what happens, if it does work out I'll let you all know, and just keep my hopes down just in case it doesn't. Side note, is there any other sort of speedometer method to use on these? I note this only goes to 35, and I intend to try and get it closer to 45-50+ in time.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I held out for years before I got a Trail Tech Vapor installed on Flash. I was kicking myself for not doing it earlier. It's a bit fussy and time-consuming to install, especially measuring the paint-dot distance for calibration, but once it's on you have RPM, Temp, and an accurate speed. It even records the peaks for all 3 for review after testing. Scooter Swap Shop sold me mine, for a good price.
Wheelman-111
laughatthemall
Noob
Noob

Post by laughatthemall »

Thanks for the suggestion! One last question for now, just to avoid opening a new thread; any idea where to currently get a cheap exhaust to replace the restricted pipe currently on there? I've heard of the LeoVince but those are no longer available anywhere I've found; haven't really found any other options. Seems like I've missed the heyday of these.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

There was one other pipe for the SE/05 I remember reading about, but can't recall specifics. Maybe post in WTB?

I just sat down and drew a rough schematic of the 10mm crank of the SE/05 engine and combining that with the 12mm Dio-type ramp plate. The problem is there may not be enough of a shoulder on the crank to keep the ramp plate true perpendicular. I thought one possible solution is to install a thin 10mm fender washer onto the crank behind the ramp plate. Then the ramp plate, centered by the slides on the variator could be installed and the pulley boss would have something to "lean" on as it compresses the plate against the washer. Be careful, because there's not a long splined bit on the crank end for the outer sheave to engage on the 05 crank. That's why I suggest that 10mm washer should be as thin as possible to leave some splines exposed.

Also be aware that the 1st generation AF18 engines (Inexplicably!) went back to a 10mm crank before growing back to 12mm in later iterations. There may be some 10mm ramp plates by SEF or ?? designed for that later engine, maybe easier to find?
Wheelman-111
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

You can use half of that KOSO kit but youll just need to get a ramp plate to fit the AF05 crank. Ramp plates from a 1985 NB50 Aero 50 also fit the SE50.

I just sold my last two unrestricted SE50 exhausts and they are difficult to locate. If you do find one, prepare to pay up for it. There are other exhausts out there that will bolt right up to the SE50 Af05 but were not "made" for it. They were intended for other scoots, however, the fitment is there.
laughatthemall
Noob
Noob

Post by laughatthemall »

Thabk you, that is unfortunately what I feared. Any idea about any of the ones you spoke of? I can make brackets if needed, just don't have the stuff to make a proper pipe.
kingdele
BMX
BMX

Post by kingdele »

If you just want to be just as effective just take off the backplate of the variator with the three bolts and throw the variator back on there. Gain about 5 mph.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

kingdele wrote:If you just want to be just as effective just take off the backplate of the variator with the three bolts and throw the variator back on there. Gain about 5 mph.
Care to explain how you would gain anything by doing this? The restricted ramp plate has no ÔÇ£rampÔÇØ.
Attachments
A8D588E1-A6D3-48AF-859E-FE2714DEC569.jpeg
A8D588E1-A6D3-48AF-859E-FE2714DEC569.jpeg (104.32 KiB) Viewed 7245 times
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I was reading this and from my understanding, you should be able to use the "koso", or other aftermarket variator for sa50, sk50, or "ZX" if you can find an early (88-93) sa50 elite ramp plate, like the lx model, which has the 10mm shaft crank. Just use the stock af05 boss and it should work. Someone please correct me if the above information is not true.
On another note, I would not buy a $15 "koso" variator and expect very much from it. I don't buy stuff that has no history or recommendations. I have been using this one on all my "stock" scooters for several years, it has given me the performance I want, and not a single issue......... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Elite-50 ... XF&vxp=mtr
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861