Aero exhaust

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

ck_ni
BMX
BMX

Aero exhaust

Post by ck_ni »

Does drilling a hole in a stock aero 50 exhaust make any difference on a stock bike?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Aero exhaust

Post by Meatball »

No...exhaust systems are designed to optimize pressures within its chamber(s) matched with specific engine characteristics and needs. Many times, people believe that "more flow" will increase performance when actually it usually will reduce it.

If youre a gambling man...try it and report back the results. Be prepared to plug the hole and do some weld work if it doesnt work out.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

I recommend against it. Not logical on 2 strokes.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

the difference will be louder and slight loss or gain in performance, key word slight and gain only if you're unplugging the right area.

unlikely to be beneficial unless you just want more sound
projects galore :nerd:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

More flow works on a 4 stroke, not a 2 stroke. In a 2 stroke system, exhaust runs on a sonic wave. Disrupting that tuned wave can really mess with performance. For more performance out of a 2 stroke pipe, you change the dynamics of the wave, not the flow.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I posted a pic of the Oem aero 50 muffler awhile back. It has a chamber for the cylinder and a baffle chamber after that. If you drill a hole in the baffle chamber in the right spot, the cylinders chamber exits to atmosphere giving you a little more top speed and a lot more noise. No hole has a little more bottom end and is much smoother powerband wise. There are pipes available for that motor, btw.