Zx trans swap on af16e. ...

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

PtRoughneck
Noob
Noob

Zx trans swap on af16e. ...

Post by PtRoughneck »

Please Help! I saw an old thread showing spots that needed to be ground down on the cvt case, but all the pics are gone. Does anyone have experience in swapping an Af16e to a zx trans? I have a Honda Elite the Polini contessa 72cc sport kit on it, stock air box, stock carbw/100main jet, 9.1 gearing. 7.5 sliders, in a Daytona varaitor. PG aluminum drive face,& a PG short race pipe.....i've Also heard that I can't run my rear cvt case on my elite either if I do the swap. Any info at all greatly appreciated.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Zx trans swap on af16e. ...

Post by Meatball »

Around the bolt holes, the case protrudes out....It can easily be noticed when you install the ZX (with belt) to see where the belt will rub. Theres also the spots where the rear gear cover and motor body meet. One is too low. Must be ground away.

Belt covers: Because the ZX requires a wider belt, you must use a longer boss in the front variator. Somewhere in the 35.8-36mm range. Stock boss is 33mm area. This change will require you to shim out the front belt cover this same distance to avoid contact with the drive face and for your kickstart to function properly. The rear cover has a thick rubber gasket that can no longer be used. To use the rear cover with out the rubber gasket, youd have to shim it out A TON and also it would need to be grinded on like the case was around the bolt mount areas....I suggest leaving the rear cover off. It gives your clutch extra cooling anyways.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
PtRoughneck
Noob
Noob

Post by PtRoughneck »

Thanks, i was trying to keep the cover if at all possible... Lot of dirt roads around. Btw, ordered the kit from scooterswapshop.com, it came with shims, malossi Kevlar belt, basicly everything i should need.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Did it come with a new clutch and bell too?
PtRoughneck
Noob
Noob

Post by PtRoughneck »

New clutch, no bell...
PtRoughneck
Noob
Noob

Post by PtRoughneck »

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

:2thumbs:

Will certainly need to play with rollers to find the sweet spot once its installed. If its shifting too early, youre not taking full advantage of the larger pulley. Shift too late and revs will be to the moon but you wont be going anywhere.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Wow that's a killer deal rat thar. The Malossi-for-Ruckus is the largest variator that'll fit on the 16 engine, and is recommended for best overdrive and top speed.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
PtRoughneck
Noob
Noob

Post by PtRoughneck »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Wow that's a killer deal rat thar. The Malossi-for-Ruckus is the largest variator that'll fit on the 16 engine, and is recommended for best overdrive and top speed.
What weights are you running on your elite?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings;

Somewhere in the F9 Sanity Restored thread I posted what's in my variator. I don't have time to dig it up , but my guess is around 36 or 38 grams with the stock Intake and Exhaust, 9:1 gears. Whatever it is, I think I need 2 grams lighter - RPMs drop in the midrange a bit too fast and too low before the engine digs in and speeds rise again.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
PtRoughneck
Noob
Noob

Post by PtRoughneck »

I upgrade to the tfc aluminum drive face, and tfc clutch bell. Got the cvt case spacer from SSS. Everything is looking good now, just need to dial it in a little bit.
PtRoughneck
Noob
Noob

Post by PtRoughneck »

Only took me 2 years to get around to actually doing the swap.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Using different (non kevlar) brands 669x18x30 belt gives slight differences in launch/upshift, also the oem honda metropolitan 660x18x30 belt has a middle-of-the-road solution. 🤙🏼
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861