Help me decide vets

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

MNELITE
Noob
Noob

Help me decide vets

Post by MNELITE »

I have a really good strong running 87 honda elite se50. I have been looking at a bbk upgrade, variator, clutch and exhaust. I also came across an used af16.

1. Since they DO make upgrades for the af05, should I just stick with it and build it? Or, get the af16 and build that more over time. Again my af05 is very strong no issues. If you reply, just get the af16 please reply with reason. Not just cause they are cool. But a technical reason against keeping the af05.

2. What would be a good price of a good condition stock af16 in your opinion? I know they are harder to find.

Just torn as if there was an issue with my engine it's an easy answer. I know they have more parts for the af16 but scooter swap shop looks to have everything for the af05. Not looking to make this think go 55mph. I just like to tinker and learn.

Maholo "thank you"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Help me decide vets

Post by Meatball »

The AF05 isnt a bad motor. I fully built one last Summer with BBK, carb, intake, vari, clutch, exhaust, etc.. and it was very peppy when dialed in. Climbed hills like a billy goat and did about 50 on flats. Couldve had better top speed with a gear mod and some better tuning skills. I have since swapped in an AF16 and have built it to the max. Acceleration is better as well as top speeds. Parts are easier to find. More options.

Which route you go is up to you and depends on your ultimate goal. If you want the best performance, go with AF16 but prepare to pay up for it. If you decide to build your AF05, I have a cache of parts for it from my previous build. BBK, Exhaust, Polini Vari, etc...PM me.

Prices on AF16 motors depend on overall condition and "other" parts included with the sale like carb, intake, exhaust, rear wheel, mount, etc...keep in mind that prices also vary in different locations. Example: they would sell for cheaper in Florida than they would in Hawaii. Heres my guess-timation for AF16 prices on an "average" in MY area:
$200-good price
$300-average price
$400-grab your ankles
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

Af16 better in every way.. price ranges from $250 to $400 depending on location an if it's a complete turn key motor.
An u don't need much to hit that 55mph mark..
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
MNELITE
Noob
Noob

Post by MNELITE »

I did it! I picked up a super clean AF16 complete. I ordered the new dowels for the case already. I ordered an 87 spree starter wire harmess for the plug swap. I posted for a stator AF05E stator harness so I can splice in a new plug.

With the AF16 swap are there other harness or wires to worry about? Remember I have an AF05e variate now. Stock 87 elite se05