Clutch Springs or Rollers for Acceleration

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

ansneds
Spree
Spree

Clutch Springs or Rollers for Acceleration

Post by ansneds »

Ever since I've had my elite there's been a pause or lag when I accelerate from being completely stopped. What would decrease that pause, lower rpm clutch springs or lighter roller weights? I'm still running stock 12:1 gears and plan on switching to 9:1 soon.
Currently own:
->1995 Honda Elite 50 (Derestricted)
Have previously owned:
->Multiple 94-01 Elite 50s
->1985 and 1986 Honda Sprees
->1985 Honda Aero 50
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Clutch Springs or Rollers for Acceleration

Post by eclark5483 »

Probably the carb. Lighter clutch springs would simply make the clutch engage faster. The reason people put heavier springs in, is because they are looking to make the clutch engage at a later time, higher up into the bike's power band. The advantage of doing so, would be a harder, more aggressive launch. If you have lighter clutch springs, obviously, it will engage very quickly into the rev. This is great if you are worried about clutch wear, but ideally, you'd want your bike to be in a power range as you are taking off.

The roller weights are gonna control rpm and torque, and tell the CVT when to "shift" to a higher gear. Generally, heavier weights will give you more torque, and light weights will give you more RPM. It's a fun fun process tuning the CVT, and can at times be harder then doing the carb, but that doesn't sound like it fits into what you are describing happening.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Take a peek at your clutch pads and bell. They can get glazed over time when overheated and lose grip capabilities. I use a 1200 grit sand paper very lightly to carefully remove the top layer and then hit it with Brakleen. Clutch pads and bell. Go easy, you certainly dont want to use anything that would cause deep scratches or remove too much material from the pads.

Also, throw a caliper gauge on your belt to ensure its within usable service width per the manual. A new QUALITY belt also wouldnt hurt.

Clean variator, drive face and clutch pulleys with Brakleen and re-install....this may just clear up some take-off lag.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
ansneds
Spree
Spree

Post by ansneds »

Thanks for the tips!
Currently own:
Have previously owned:
->1985 Honda Aero 50
ansneds
Spree
Spree

Post by ansneds »

Would 4k RPM clutch springs be bad for a stock clutch?
Currently own:
Have previously owned:
->1985 Honda Aero 50
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Not as long as you have a good amount of padding on the clutch still. As I said before, stiffer springs will wear the clutch faster since they will grab the bell at a higher rpm then stock. If unsure, then have it repadded with kevlar before installing new springs.. Quite honestly, if it were me, I'd do that no matter how stiff of new springs I use.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Re-padding a clutch is great if they are tough to find. However, Elite clutches are abundant.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.