Honda Elite S 50 - Need Performance Opinions for DIY Writeup

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Honda Elite S 50 - Need Performance Opinions for DIY Writeup

Post by W8kbrder »

Hey guys - been away for quite sometime (since 2014) as life took me a different route.

Regardless, I've come full circle back to my dusty Honda Elite that sits in the corner of the garage. On my shelves, I have several new/unopened parts that have never been installed and I'm looking to do this soon. I plan to do a highly detailed DIY write-up with lots of pictures.

GOAL: To provide a fair increase of power/speed while maintaining good reliability without the need for a lot of custom fabrication.

Here's whats currently installed:

-running Pre-mix
-0.88 main jet
-airbox tabs removed
-9:1 gears
-1.5k clutch springs
-2k main center clutch spring
-drilled out stock exhaust
-prodigy variator w/ stock weight rollers

**My current average flat ground speed via GPS is 48mph. Not too bad for the minimal upgrades. Now for the next step....

After many hours of research and gathering opinions from multiple people on the forums, I've compiled all the information and averaged everything out to come up with the best list of upgrades to make the scooter a bit quicker and a higher top speed. Take in mind, I am not a racer....my ultimate goal is to not be the fastest scooter on the road. My goal is to have a reliable upgraded Elite that will keep up/pass traffic (50mph zone). To be honest, I'm happy with its performance now....I'd just like to see a few more mph for top speed (would like to see 55mph) and more pickup.

Here's what I've purchased based on all of the compiled info. Now, I bought all of this back in 2014 and never got around to installing it, so there may be improved products available that some of you will suggest. I'm open to that. A lot changes in 4 years. I've seen several mention that Polini now has a worthwhile carb far superior to the OKO. I don't mind paying a bit more money for a better quality product if it reduces time spent fiddling with getting something to run smooth!

Heres what I currently have on hand:

-Polini Corsa BBK
-26mm OKO Carb
-ct manifold
-throttle cable
-tires (Vee Rubber 90/90-10)

What I still need:
-Head temp gauge (don't have one yet - looking for suggestions on brand/model/etc)
-Cone air filter (suggestions needed)
-Exhaust (I need better performing but a sleeper...don't want to bring a lot of attention to myself with extra noise. Was told the V8 is nice as it looks stock but provides better performance)

Now, I've never installed a head on a scooter. I've pulled an entire motor out of my '93 Corrado VR6 so I'm assuming if I can do that, I can do this? But there's still a lot to learn.

I'm looking for tips/info on this install. Previous write-ups w/ pictures would help. But I want to compile all of the info together into a detailed DIY to pass along to anyone venturing down this road. So any input will be highly appreciated. Heres some info I'm looking for in regards to the current setup/parts list I have:

-install process: looking for general overview and what to do/not to do
-break in period: how long? don't go over a certain speed for certain amount of time?
-Pre-mix ratio: what do you recommend for this head/26mm carb?
-carb jetting: looking for good all-round jetting range
-head temps: what should average head temp be on Polini Corsa?(how hot is too hot?)

Looking forward to discussing with you all.
2001 Honda Elite S (De-restricted)
|Prodigy Variator w/ 9g weights|De-restricted Exhaust|Oil Pump Delete|1.5k Center Clutch Spring|2k Clutch Grabbers|.88 Main Jet|2nd Airbox Tab Removed|9:1 gears|49mph GPS confirmed|
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Re: Honda Elite S 50 - Need Performance Opinions for DIY Wri

Post by Gearhart »

It is definitely worth the upgrade to a polini carb, and also a stage 6 intake. Those ct's love to leak and the reads like to fall apart.
Most people think the pipe is the only reason their bike is loud, but this is false. Running an open filter makes a bike MUCH louder. If you want a sleeper setup, find an airbox to run. a V8 and an airbox itll almost sound stock. Also ScooterSwapShop sells polini cp carbs with an adapter to run a stock elite airbox, punch some bigger holes in the back and thatll work good. If going pod filter, i use polini, and uni with good results. For a temp gauge trail tech is the way to go. You can get just a temp gauge (they are about 50$) or get a vapor which has (speedo, temp,tach, and its back lit). If you have any more questions on parts hit up brandon at SSS and he will hook you up.

Tips on the install: Use hondabond on all the paper gaskets
Get copper head gasket spray to use on the corsa base gasket
Use lots of two stroke oil on the cylinder and piston during install
make sure everything is spotless before assembly

Break in: 8-10 heat cycles. Let the bike warm up, shut it off.
first two tanks take it easy (no WOT)
this is the cautious way
I have also thrown a cylinder on and gone and beat on it, no heat cycles. Pulled at after a couple thousand miles and looked perfect.

Premix ratio: 32:1
When breaking in always use mineral based oils, no synthetics. I use honda 2t oil that is recommended for these bikes
After 300 or so miles I switch to full synthetic. I run motul 710, but many other brands are good aswell

Jetting: Until you decide your carb, intake, filter cant help with that. if you go with a 24mm and pod filter start with a 112 main and 45 pilot.

Temp: I back out of a corsa around 380. up to 400 is safe temps.
Corsa's can take a beating though, i have seen them ran up to 440 degrees and not seize. (wouldn't recommend trying this)

Happy to answer any more questions. I have built to many of these engines to count haha
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Bookmarked. Can't wait to see results.
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

Gearhart wrote:It is definitely worth the upgrade to a polini carb, and also a stage 6 intake. Those ct's love to leak and the reads like to fall apart.
Most people think the pipe is the only reason their bike is loud, but this is false. Running an open filter makes a bike MUCH louder. If you want a sleeper setup, find an airbox to run. a V8 and an airbox itll almost sound stock. Also ScooterSwapShop sells polini cp carbs with an adapter to run a stock elite airbox, punch some bigger holes in the back and thatll work good. If going pod filter, i use polini, and uni with good results. For a temp gauge trail tech is the way to go. You can get just a temp gauge (they are about 50$) or get a vapor which has (speedo, temp,tach, and its back lit). If you have any more questions on parts hit up brandon at SSS and he will hook you up.

Tips on the install: Use hondabond on all the paper gaskets
Get copper head gasket spray to use on the corsa base gasket
Use lots of two stroke oil on the cylinder and piston during install
make sure everything is spotless before assembly

Break in: 8-10 heat cycles. Let the bike warm up, shut it off.
first two tanks take it easy (no WOT)
this is the cautious way
I have also thrown a cylinder on and gone and beat on it, no heat cycles. Pulled at after a couple thousand miles and looked perfect.

Premix ratio: 32:1
When breaking in always use mineral based oils, no synthetics. I use honda 2t oil that is recommended for these bikes
After 300 or so miles I switch to full synthetic. I run motul 710, but many other brands are good aswell

Jetting: Until you decide your carb, intake, filter cant help with that. if you go with a 24mm and pod filter start with a 112 main and 45 pilot.

Temp: I back out of a corsa around 380. up to 400 is safe temps.
Corsa's can take a beating though, i have seen them ran up to 440 degrees and not seize. (wouldn't recommend trying this)

Happy to answer any more questions. I have built to many of these engines to count haha
Excellent! Thank you so much for the detailed information. I will be embarking on this soon but currently in the research/part collecting process to make sure all my ducks are in a row. I welcome any feedback b/c I'd like to at least contribute back to the community by providing a detailed write-up on the process.
2001 Honda Elite S (De-restricted)
|Prodigy Variator w/ 9g weights|De-restricted Exhaust|Oil Pump Delete|1.5k Center Clutch Spring|2k Clutch Grabbers|.88 Main Jet|2nd Airbox Tab Removed|9:1 gears|49mph GPS confirmed|