need help with 1986 honda spree

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

tommygunz750
Noob
Noob

need help with 1986 honda spree

Post by tommygunz750 »

My 1986 honda spree does not take of the line very fast at all. I realize it doesn't have a variator. What can I do to make it take off the line extremely fast? Is there some sort of modification or something I can do to give it more initial quickness? Call me 816-456-8271 if you want or message back here or tommygunz350@yahoo.com :peace:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: need help with 1986 honda spree

Post by Meatball »

tommygunz750 wrote: What can I do to make it take off the line extremely fast?
ÔÇ£Extremely fastÔÇØ begins with a motor swap. Then a laundry list of other mods on THAT motor. Crazy speeds of 80-90mph can be achieved with the right combo and tune. Wheelies everywhere and ridiculous acceleration is possible with a different motor, extensive mods and a liquid-cooled bank account.

The Spree is certainly no speed machine in stock form but a Spree in good running condition should take off decent...for what it is. Having not ridden your scoot myself to feel itsÔÇÖ pull, Im not sure if your issue couldnt possibly be improved by routine maintenance of worn parts. Its common for a Spree to become sluggish by a worn clutch, slipping belt, low compression, dirty carb, etc.. it should be able to propel you from 0 to 25-30mph well enough to blend in with typical traffic movements without issue.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Like he was saying, check for worn components like clutch pad and belt. Not much you can do with a stock 86' for off the line acceleration. You COULD swap out that 13T gear for a 12T for a slight improvement on the low end, but your top end will suffer.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Swap the clutch springs for stiffer ones, or drill holes in the stock clutch shoes to lighten it up. That's what I did, worked ok.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

benji wrote:...or drill holes in the stock clutch shoes to lighten it up. That's what I did, worked ok.
That's not exactly an easy "Spree 101" fix for a new owner... right? Knowing how much to drill and how to balance the weights?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

It's easier than it sounds. There's actually a right up on 49ccscoot.com about it. And, like any tuning, you do a little at a time. I only put 1 hole in each clutch shoe, a 3/16" hole. Got me to a clutch release of about 2500-3000 rpm.

Or buy a bunch of parts from the local scooter shop and see what happens I guess. You know, cuz buying stuff like springs and clutches and belts meant for other bikes really doesn't seem that "easy" to me, especially for a beginner.

http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/thread/3 ... ock-clutch
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

noiseguy wrote:
benji wrote:...or drill holes in the stock clutch shoes to lighten it up. That's what I did, worked ok.
That's not exactly an easy "Spree 101" fix for a new owner... right? Knowing how much to drill and how to balance the weights?
But custom motor swaps and gear changes are "spree 101"?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Gear pinion change is straightforward. Engine isn't... but really it's the only good option. And it's easy to reverse if you get in over your head... just put the Spree motor back in.

Lightening the clutch shoes is a 1 shot deal. Screw it up and you're on the hook to find another set of clutch shoes.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products