1984 Spree Iowa NQ-50 muffler restriction

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

bwegher
Noob
Noob

1984 Spree Iowa NQ-50 muffler restriction

Post by bwegher »

NQ-50 seems to be all stock. AF05E, Keihin PA29C, stock tires, unknown history, reads 504 miles on odometer.
Last 15 years in a western Kansas farm shed. Covered with wasp nests. No sign of being crashed.
Cleaned fuel system, carb had some residue and partially stuck float. Byvalve pocket and bleed port look good. Good float level.
First cleaning seemed to work, scooter started well and seemed to run ok, but no power after warming up a few minutes. Unable to climb moderate hill.
Original plug looks good, 25 thou gap.
Removed muffler to check for carbon blockage and look for restrictor.
No restrictor that I can see, just an empty pipe curving around the engine. Not much carbon.
Muffler is marked HMGK8 SANKEI 2199
No visible wasp nest blockage in muffler outlet. Engine cooling fins clean, no sign of overheating.
Replaced muffler, cleaned carb a second time. Found nothing wrong. Main jet has 68 after the Keihin logo.
Emulsion tube looks mint. Carb cleaner goes through pilot tube fine.
Started easy and runs excellent, good power at all speeds and takes my 190 pounds up a 10 degree hill without a hiccup.
Max speed on level about 24 mph, seems to have a governor at that speed.
No experience with scooters, can't find good photo of Iowa Spree muffler restrictor, so don't know how to remove it.
Is the muffler stock for Iowa Spree?? Is the 68 jet in this Keihin PA29C stock?? Would like a few more MPH.

Some pictures
Engine
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... 5qqICCH3ww
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... OF2IGkg8lA
Muffler
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... -XgL4f74Qu
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... ZCk9NIYuXz
Carb
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... A30b31pSX-
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1984 Spree Iowa NQ-50 muffler restriction

Post by Meatball »

Maximum speed on the 84-85ÔÇÖÔÇÖ is 24-25mph...thats all shes got by design.

The 86ÔÇÖ-87ÔÇÖ added 5mph and makes it to 29-30mph.

This is with an average size rider on flat ground. Seems as if you have a nice running stock Spree on your hands.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
bwegher
Noob
Noob

Post by bwegher »

I can live with 25mph. At my age I don't need to go fast to get my mail.
Was just surprised to find no restrictor in the exhaust.

When the weather is nice, I like to fix mowers, chainsaws, etc. Sometimes neighbors bring me something to fix.
The price was right, it was being tossed into landfill, it looked terrible, but cleanable.
This area is pretty dry, so no rust. The tires are cracking, so might change to next larger size.
34 year old japanese rubber needs close inpsection. O-rings look ok. Hoses starting to crack.
Front brake shoes look almost new, did not check rear, but they work fine.

No animals chewed on the wires, so no problems there.
Oiler seems to work, blue exhaust on starting, but less when warmed up.
Battery had been removed, slight corrosion around the fuse. All lights and horn work.
Cost me about three hours work and a battery.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The restriction in the exhaust is itÔÇÖs design. Made to match the stock capabilities of the Spree which it does very well. In fact, for an unmodified NQ50 there is none better. The aging rubber components should obviously be adressed and once those are sorted, expect many years and thousands of carefree miles riding your scooter. There have been reports of high mileage Sprees ridden daily with over 20,000 miles on the original top end. Honda reliability at its finest.

If you have any more questions or need random parts along the way, come here first. The wealth of Spree knowledge within this forum is vast. Also, if you need a fresh air filter, plug, gasket, etc...check here:

http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12045
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Restriction is in the muffler design. It is done by the inlet going into the muffler. Here is how to tell the difference:

This is a restricted Iowa Edition:

This is a non restricted muffler:

For what it's worth, keep the stock pipe, you'll only gain a couple more miles an hour by chaninging it, not worth the money IMHO.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

And, like Meatball was saying, sounds like you have a good running Spree. Only 504 miles on the engine, I would absolutely restore it. Out in the vast no where of McCook (former Columbus resident myself), it would be perfect for getting around town.
bwegher
Noob
Noob

Post by bwegher »

Thanks to all for the info and photos of the two mufflers, now it's clear. There was some conflicting info out there.
Also, poor weather provides time to read FAQs and the service manual.
Will try to provide progress update and video in a couple days.
Intend to keep original condition but clean and maintained.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Honestly, if I had an 84' Iowa, and wanted to up it's game without doing anything too drastic, is swap to a non restricted muffler, swap that low gear for a mid range 13T gear, don't mess with the top end. I think that #68 jet would feel more comfortable and give the most there. The head design (better compression), IMHO gives a equal equipped 86-87' non restricted Spree a good run and should see you at close to 28-30 with normal maintenance.