DIO Gearing

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

cancunia
Spree
Spree

DIO Gearing

Post by cancunia »

Anyone changed their stock engine DIO gearing for more top speed? If so, what did you change to & did it work?

Thanks
motormike

Re: DIO Gearing

Post by motormike »

The answer is Yes.
I've not done it, but many have.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

Good to know that it's been done!
Feedback on results welcome...
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Its been done a zillion times over, pretty common modification actually. Ive tried maybe 6-7 different ratios and I can tell you this: the ratio chosen should coincide with the available power.

My opinion:
Stock gears are best for stock motors.
9:1 for 72cc
8:1 or taller for 100cc etc...

Now, you CAN use stock gears on 72cc and 9:1 on stock motors. Ive done both and with a good trans tune (rollers, clutch springs, etc) they can be just great. Just takes some time to dial in.

Results are typical...taller gears reduce take-offs and give higher top speeds. Sluggish take-offs that result from a tall gear change can be remedied by lighter roller weights, tighter clutch springs and a larger rear pulley at the clutch. However, your DIO in England may be equipped with the larger pulley already..you didnt specify your DIO model.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

I think you may have answered my question with "Stock gears are best for stock motors". I'm interested in people's experiences with alternate gearing for the stock 50cc AF18 motor.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

9:1 gears on stock motor brought my scoot from 40mph to about 45 after changing roller weights, clutch springs and contra sping. If you swap in taller gears on a completely stock motor without tuning your trans to compensate, top speed will increase slightly while peak RPMÔÇÖs will be reduced. Acceleration will suffer and top speed on hill climbs will be also be lower. The stock motor just doesnt have the guts to push the taller gears at a desirable rate unless its in the peak horsepower range of about 6,500 RPMÔÇÖs. Tune the trans to stay at peak HP Rpm range and youÔÇÖll be fine.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

Thanks Meat. Really helpful stuff.
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

Meatball wrote:9:1 gears on stock motor brought my scoot from 40mph to about 45 after changing roller weights, clutch springs and contra sping. If you swap in taller gears on a completely stock motor without tuning your trans to compensate, top speed will increase slightly while peak RPMÔÇÖs will be reduced. Acceleration will suffer and top speed on hill climbs will be also be lower. The stock motor just doesnt have the guts to push the taller gears at a desirable rate unless its in the peak horsepower range of about 6,500 RPMÔÇÖs. Tune the trans to stay at peak HP Rpm range and youÔÇÖll be fine.
So, what was the setup worked the best with the 9:1 gears on a stock motor? My 2001 Elite S has been de-restricted to match the SR (airbox, exhaust washer, and #78 jet that's arriving tomorrow), and I just put new tires and brakes on it. It may be more than I'm willing to do since it seems like you have to play with the variator and clutch to make it work right, but I'm just curious what worked best for you.
2001 Elite S (Derestricted)
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
1.5k Contra, 4k shoe springs
16/42 Gears