Taz Gears on bottom end?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Cody99
Noob
Noob

Taz Gears on bottom end?

Post by Cody99 »

I have a BBK spree with an aftermarket carb and intake and it goes good. Looking at the gears for more topend just wondering how much it takes away from the bottom end? Will I be flinstoning it?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Taz Gears on bottom end?

Post by Meatball »

When I installed the TAZ gears on my BBKÔÇÖd Spree a few years ago, it made take-offs so slow that it became unsafe to ride in traffic. Light turns green and cars pile up waiting for me to get moving. It also made climbing hills nearly impossible with my 180lb weight in the seat. I then tried the JOG clutch springs to try to help with take-offs but that had minimal improvements. Stock springs engage (im guessing) in the 1800-2000rpm range and the JOGÔÇÖs were 2,500...this needs 5k-6k engagement for better launch.

However, once you (finally) get to 10-15mph...the gears kickass and boots you right up to 40mph. Pick your poison.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Same results as Meatball. Stop and Go traffic is a no go unless you don't mind the people behind you being peeved. I run my high geared one north west of town down by the park where traffic is lite and I have the room I need to get it up past 45 and bury the needle. My low geared one gets used in traffic, does maybe 30-32. Either way, you wanna go with better springs. Mine bite down at around 2200, would be so much better on both if I could get them to grip at around 3500-4000rpm. If I remember correctly, Joe Daniels was telling me GY6 springs should also work. Those I know for sure I can get in a 4000-6000rpm flavor. I'll probably try later this summer and find out.
Cody99
Noob
Noob

Post by Cody99 »

Kinda what I figured thanks guys
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

eclark5483 wrote:Same results as Meatball. Stop and Go traffic is a no go unless you don't mind the people behind you being peeved. I run my high geared one north west of town down by the park where traffic is lite and I have the room I need to get it up past 45 and bury the needle. My low geared one gets used in traffic, does maybe 30-32. Either way, you wanna go with better springs. Mine bite down at around 2200, would be so much better on both if I could get them to grip at around 3500-4000rpm. If I remember correctly, Joe Daniels was telling me GY6 springs should also work. Those I know for sure I can get in a 4000-6000rpm flavor. I'll probably try later this summer and find out.
g60 springs don't fit sorry, tried it with g60 and another Chinese scooter type. Now the Chinese pocket rockets with sprung clutches use smaller springs like the spree and they have a small aftermarket.

I ended up running gears, intake, carb, pipe, bbk, and aftermarket clutch on my spree. best speed I got was 40ish. If you want the best of both worlds get a stock af16 whole kit everything from an elite and just do variator and maybe a small gear change and jetting/pipe.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

MrJumps wrote:Now the Chinese pocket rockets with sprung clutches use smaller springs like the spree and they have a small aftermarket.
You talking about something like this?

https://www.pocketbikeparts.com/chung-y ... mance.html

Found some 7,000rpm ones on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162608408272
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Cody99 wrote:Kinda what I figured thanks guys
I guess one thing to note, is Meatball's config .vs my config had a difference in the intake's used if I remember correctly. He was using stock, I am using the one Taz sells with the adapter. Bottom end is very much improved with the aftermarket intake, though, still lacking. Would suggest using a 36-38 pilot and 102-104 main if running the Polini. Not sure on the 21mm carb that comes with the kit, but I'm guessing you'll want a #38 pilot and 100-102 main. Get your tunes perfect before considering gear upgrade. Especially on that pilot with the 21mm carb. Too high and the dang thing is very cold blooded when it comes to starting, too low and it affects bottom end take off. You never stated what year of Spree you have. If it's an 84-85, then I'd maybe consider swapping out to gears from an 86-87'. Those will give you a somewhat decent takeoff and see you to 35mph+. Probably the range best suited for the bike even with BBK & intake mod, though going over 40 IS pretty fun. What I have found though, is when you are going 40+, it tends to really suck the gas real quick. Might just be because of all the wind resistance and my heavier weight creating more, but seems I get better gas mileage with the high gears when I keep it at around 30-35.
Cody99
Noob
Noob

Post by Cody99 »

I have a 85 with bbk, Taz carb and intake kit, mlm pipe, everything is dialed in perfect. Just want some more topend.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yeah, go with a 13T gear then. Besides, if you use Taz gears, you'll have to have the cog pressed so there really ain't no going back unless you buy another set off of eBay or something. I'm guessing the 13T gear will give you about what you are looking for without sacrificing bottom end too much. It isn't horrible on Taz gears if you aren't a fatty. I had a kid drive mine today while I followed him on my daughter's scoot. He was probably only around 140lbs and he was able to keep right up with my 300+lb weight on her Taotao ATM 50 with 72cc BBK, A9 cam, Performance carb, Polini CVT. In fact, after we reached about the 40mph mark, he passed me up with the Spree. I asked him how fast he was going, he said the needle was buried and he couldn't see the needle anymore. Now I've ran GPS on my kid's with me on it and I can get her's to 45: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxZoT5GKi1A so he had to be going somewhere close to 50. Told him next time we will do a video with GPS strapped onto the Spree just to see how fast it actually will go.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

BTW, the reason this kid got to try the Spree, is because he said his Kymco could do 40. I told him mine did better, He didn't believe me. He had a heII of a time figuring out takeoff, killed it I don't know how many times, course, I need to adjust my pilot a bit, but after explaining it a few times, he figured it out and got it up past the needle buried. Lets say the kid was amazed, yet disgusted that this tiny scooter, in a long stretch, would blow his fancy Kymco mom and dad bought him, away. Also had a neighbor ride it, see what he thought of take off. I'd say he's about 165-170. He had a decent experience, said carb could be tweaked a bit as well on the pilot, but overall takeoff wasn't too bad. Guess I should cut back on the trips to Taco John's. But, I got all summer to tweak the carbs on both of mine. Quite honestly though, so far I'm liking the low geared spree over the high geared one just because of bottom end.
Last edited by eclark5483 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

BTW, what are you using on yours for an air filter? I'm running a Polini on mine, so mine comes with the cone fitting that goes around the air filter and helps create back pressure. Take off with and without it, is like night and day. Those air filters that ship with the 21mm carb kits need tweaked/taped to compensate for needed bottom end back pressure.
Cody99
Noob
Noob

Post by Cody99 »

IÔÇÖm using everything that comes in the kit and itÔÇÖs working awesome. Have it working real good. I plan on trying to do something gear wise. Might get another spree and do a motor swap on that one so I can have a couple to play with
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Well, if you're interested, I do have a nice swap engine and mount for sale at a reasonable price: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35059
Cody99
Noob
Noob

Post by Cody99 »

Might have to take ya up on that. IÔÇÖll let ya know!