The path to 50-60 MPH...

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

The path to 50-60 MPH...

Post by Sevyndaze »

Hello again! Another (probably) n00b question for you scooter gurus:

I'm thinking about trying to mod/tune my 2001 Elite SA50P to the point where I it would be reasonable for me to ride it to work and back. The commute is about 20 miles each way, with speed limits between 30 and 45. There are a few pretty good hills to climb each way, plus I'd rather not have to be at WOT the entire time, so I'd like to be able to top out at 50+. The previous owner de-restricted the intake and exhaust, and I de-restricted the variator and rode it that way for a bit before tearing it down to clean/upjet the carb and maintain/fix a few other important things (tires/brakes/etc). Before tearing it down it would do 30-35 on a flat street. While it's torn down, I'm putting a 78 jet in the carb, a new BR8HSA plug, and a fresh air filter into it.

I'm wondering what else I might need to do to be able to cruise at say 50MPH+? From feedback to my prior posts I know this will involve a new variator, clutch, and final drive gears, but I wanted to see if anyone had specific suggestions based on what their scooters could with similar builds. At this point I'm not really looking to do a BBK or replace the carb/intake or pipe, I just want to know if it's a feasible goal with a stock motor. Thanks again for any advice!
2001 Elite S (Derestricted)
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
1.5k Contra, 4k shoe springs
16/42 Gears
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: The path to 50-60 MPH...

Post by Meatball »

You wont get 50 on a stock bore, intake, exhaust.

Just swap on a Contessa and youÔÇÖll get there. Ask Wheelman.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I got close to 50 with a new variator and gears on stock set up. I know you said you dont want to do a bbk but the contessa really is a great bore and will get you there. I did my build in stages and thought about the future process when doing it. if you buy quality products that are gonna last then its a good investment. I said the same thing when I got mine. I just need a little more speed then I needed more speed so on and now the only thing stock on my motor is the crank. do your research and ask questions and you will be alright. feel free to hit me up with questions. good luck.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
motormike

Post by motormike »

Rip_City_Spree wrote: I said the same thing when I got mine. I just need a little more speed then I needed more speed so on
^^this syndrome known as "the perpetual pursuit of 2 more miles per hour"... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

Thanks for the response. What gears did you end up going with? I was toying with the idea of getting a new variator. Also, how complicated is a BBK to install? IÔÇÖm pretty good with automotive/mechanical work but is it something IÔÇÖll need special tools to do?
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

talk to brandon or carter at scooterswapshop.com about gears. you will need to have them pressed in so its probably the hardest part. I had those guys do mine. as for parts just make sure whatever you buy its quality parts. as for the bbk install you wont need any special tools that you cant find easily. you will copper gasket spray or hondabond for the base gasket. if you spend some time on here reading up on how other people did it and what mistake they made along the way its fairly straight forward. the keits y is to make sure it is sealed up tight. if you need help or have question feel free to hit me up. those guys at scooterswapshop are great dudes and more than willing to help you through the whole process.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

Yeah, I've bought almost all of the aftermarket parts for this thing from them. Not a whole lot but they've been super helpful; they usually answer my questions fast via facebook. They also recommended deleting the oil pump and running premix, even on a stock motor. Power wise, would it really make a noticeable difference?
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
motormike

Post by motormike »

Sevyndaze wrote: They also recommended deleting the oil pump and running premix, even on a stock motor.
Power wise, would it really make a noticeable difference?

No, not even a little, none.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
kingdele
BMX
BMX

Post by kingdele »

Meatball wrote:You wont get 50 on a stock bore, intake, exhaust.

Just swap on a Contessa and youÔÇÖll get there. Ask Wheelman.
I did, was upjetted tho so thatÔÇÖs not technically stock for intake but I got 50.3 mph on gps
kingdele
BMX
BMX

Post by kingdele »

I have a Keli variator, sef ramp plate, 1k clutch spring, 9:1 gears, 82 main jet and it goes. Make sure exhaust washer is drilled out and open the second tab in the intake.