Adventures in CVT Tuning on stock motor

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Adventures in CVT Tuning on stock motor

Post by Sevyndaze »

So after many swaps of just about every component of the CVT on my '01 Elite I've got a better setup than before. There is still room for improvement, so there will be updates as I tinker with it more, but since I took so many data points I figured I'd share them. Parts are all stock unless otherwise noted.
Other factors to consider: about 5000 miles on motor/stock parts. New, well-oiled air filter, recently chem-cleaned exhaust. 230lb rider.

Original setup: Polini variator, 6.9g rollers, 16/42 gears. Bit slow off the line, rocket between 5-25. Trans shifting around 7200. Top speed around 43.

ZX/KN clutch experiments below still use the polini variator and 16:42 gears, ZX Pulley/boss and malossi belt from ZX kit. Top speed was not tested.

Trial 1: KN Planning clutch, 6.9g rollers, and whatever contra spring came with the kit. Trans shifting at about 7500. Scoot was SUPER slow off the line despite high revs; felt like something was slipping.

Trial 2: KN Planning clutch, 7.5g rollers, NCY 1.5k contra, 5k shoe springs. Trans shifting around 8000. Better but still slow to get moving; still felt like something was slipping.

Trial 3: Stock clutch, 7.5g rollers, 1.5k contra, 5k shoe springs, 0.5mm variator shims. Trans shifting around 7400. Much faster off the line, slipping feeling gone. I suspect something is wrong with the aftermarket clutch. I'm going to see if I can return it to SSS or exchange it for some springs/rollers.

Trial 4: Stock clutch, 7.5g rollers, stock contra, 5k shoe springs, 0.5mm variator shims. VERY quick off the line, smooth acceleration all the way up to about 35 (not a top speed, just as fast as I happened to go on that particular run). Trans shifting around 7200. A definite improvement over the original setup, but still room for further improvement.

Hopefully this info will prove to be useful for other folks looking to tune. I'm going to order a 1K contra, a set of 4k shoe springs and some 8g weights to see if I can dial it in a little better and bring the shift point down.
2001 Elite S (Derestricted)
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
1.5k Contra, 4k shoe springs
16/42 Gears
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Re: Adventures in CVT Tuning on stock motor

Post by Sevyndaze »

UPDATE: 1k contra, 4K shoe springs, and 8g rollers seems to be the sweet spot. Also took the shims out. Rockets off the line and shifts around 6900. Not perfect but d*** fun! Hope this info proves useful for someone:-)
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Wait till you slap on a Corsa with all the supporting parts...you’ll shlt the bed
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

Oh I'm definitely going all out on this. Corsa and supporting mods are next on the list, may install over winter. Would the stock carb/intake/exhaust work with a Corsa or should I plan on just doing everything all at once?
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Stock carb will not work. Its too small to give the Corsa what it deserves....yes, it will run but wont be a huge improvment over the stock bore and a nightmare to tune.

I suggest a 24mm carb. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. The Corsa is hands down the best 72cc bore on the market for the af16/18. Youd be doing yourself a disservice to use a cheap junk carb...stick with a top brand. Also adding an intake, pod filter, a good pipe and CHT & RPM gauges. Use good parts for good results....ask questions and do research before you buy. Corsa builds have been done a zillion times and there are proven combos. Read, read, read.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Fyi, the stock pipe will work just fine with a Corsa, Intake, Carb build. My Arrow fell apart and I had to run the stock pipe while waiting for a replacement. It certainly doesnt have the punch of a good race pipe and top speed dropped 10-15mph but it got me by. New pipe arrived and it pulls like a raped ape again after a re-jet.
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

Thanks for the tips. Is there a carb/intake combo that would work well on both the stock bore and a Corsa? The $800+ to buy everything all at once might be a tough sell to the wife...
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Certainly $800 is a tough pill to swallow. Its not typical (from what I’ve seen) that full builds are purchased all at once. Its usually done piece-by-piece over time. If purchased/installed in the right order you ride your scoot every step of the way. This is how I would go, starting with a 100% stock Elite, if budget didnt permit a bulk purchase:

Start with CVT.
Variator, clutch, contra spring, ZX trans, gears.
Save some cash by going with a Keli w/sef ramp.
About $250-$300 for all.

Corsa, Intake, Carb, Filter
Shop around. Good deals can be had if you search. Remember that it may be convienient to buy items from all the same place but youd save cash by not sometimes.
About $400

Pipe. This is the icing on the cake. Likely the most expensive single component in the bunch. Once youve done the other steps and your scoot rips harder than it ever has...slap on a good pipe and unleash the beast. You’ll immediately realize it was all worth the price of admission.

It should go without saying, as speeds increase, the need to upgrade the brakes becomes more apparent. Try an emergency stop from 65-to-0 and you’ll know what I mean...after you clean your shorts.
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

You are a wealth of knowledge, sir. CVT is all dialed in, and I have different contra/clutch springs/roller weights for tuning after installing the corsa. I can probably swing the $400 or so and do the corsa/intake/carb/filter in one go. Good to know it will run on the stock pipe, at least initially. I know the stock bore makes the most power around 6500, would the Corsa be about the same before upgrading the pipe?

Thankfully I didn't forget about the brakes either; both sets were replaced about 250 miles ago.
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

I am in the same boat, starting trans mods currently. Keep us posted on the results!
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

Ntonar my current CVT setup is in my sig, for an 01 Elite. What scooter and mods have you done so far?
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Sevyndaze wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:19 pmthe stock bore makes the most power around 6500, would the Corsa be about the same before upgrading the pipe?
The Corsa pulls amazingly better than stock up to about 7-7,500...then COMES ALIVE! It rips like an animal from 7k to about 9k then has a steady pull from 9 to 10-11+. Unfortunately, the stock pipe holds it to the 7k range and falls flat. You never really unleash the Corsa’s full potential until you have a good race pipe.

That being said, running it with the stock pipe is still an absolute blast. You’ll still be leaving your buddy on his Ruck in the dust...while doing a wheelie.