Issues with 86 Spree

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

mraaronptuttle
Noob
Noob

Issues with 86 Spree

Post by mraaronptuttle »

Hello everyone!
I have a few issues that maybe you all can help me with.
I bought my 86 spree this past winter and was just able to get it out today to get everything up and running.
The issues I am having are as follows:
1) It bogs down under acceleration and cant get past the 15mph mark.
2) The clutch cover got awfully hot and I could smell what I am assuming is the clutch slipping.

Now when I bought it, it already had a fair amount of brand new parts on it those being:

JWParts Repadded Clutch
New Clutch Springs
New OKO carb (I believe it is the Taz kit from other pictures on this site)
98 main and 40 Idle jets
New Honda Belt
MLM Exhaust
Has a weirdly shaped airbox (looks like a pill with 2 holes in it)

all of these have never been used until today, fresh gas and oil in everything.
Any ideas?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Issues with 86 Spree

Post by Meatball »

Does it have the stock jug or an aftermarket? You didnt mention bore.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
mraaronptuttle
Noob
Noob

Post by mraaronptuttle »

It has the factory bore. None of that had been touched.
by the way, thank you for the reply!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Stock main jet is #68 in a 13mm carb...stocker bore dont like the 98/40 with the bigger OKO. However, a jet bump IS needed with the MLM and filter but I believe your problem lies in the combination of chosen parts.

Youre running all these components that flow better air/fuel than stock except the most important piece...the bore.

Shoving tons of air and dumping gobs of fuel wont make the stock jug give you any more than it can. It will actually make it run worse while it struggles to chew with a mouthful.
mraaronptuttle
Noob
Noob

Post by mraaronptuttle »

I appreciate the insight, I will rumage through the parts and see if the factory parts are here.
once again, I appreciate it!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

98 main and 40 pilot are way too much for that even WITH a BBK, I run my Polini's at a conservative 86 no more then an 88' and that's with the BBK (dyno tuned and A/F ratios checked for accuracy). I'm not exactly sure what you should be running the OKO with on a stock bore, but I'm guessing it's probably somewhere in the mid to upper 70's range. Pilot should be a 34-36'. I use a 36, but again, I use a BBK (and MLM pipes). Hope that helps
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Another thing to mention, if using Taz's carb kit, you'll wanna restrict the air coming in from the filter a bit. Maybe use some black tape around the first half of the filter, you'll need to experiment. Meatball has a post somewhere showing a pretty nifty hack he used to try out different back pressure levels. Very important on that OKO since the Spree starts burping with anything bigger than an 18mm (block limitations) and that one is a 21mm I believe. Could you post a pic of that airbox? Can't narrow down what you are describing.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

To clarify for anyone new...”TAZ” = chopchop*123 on Ebay
mraaronptuttle
Noob
Noob

Post by mraaronptuttle »

Hey guys! Thank you all for the responses! I appreciate it very much so. In your alls honest opinion is it even worth throwing jets in? Just out of curiosity. Here is a photo of that airbox I was talking about. Sorry for the sporadic times of replying, Its a busy time here in Louisville with the Kentucky Derby this weekend.
Attachments
motor1.jpg
motor1.jpg (102.01 KiB) Viewed 9776 times
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Odd air filter, I'm surprised it fits in that tiny space, but it should be just fine. But yes, getting that jetting down will absolutely pay off. Without BBK and gears, you should be able to achieve close to 40 (probably about 37) with the right tuning and body weight. Marc/Taz/chopchop123 gets those carbs from his vendor, but at this point he can only get them in 21mm. The Spree's max carb size is 18mm because of the poorly designed block. A 21mm will absolutely work though, just got to fiddle with it. The problem with the 21mm he sells, and it's more or less just a problem on the Spree, otherwise is fine for other bikes, is the factory sends them out with a default jetting size. Which, in the case of the OKO is the sizes you received as well. I think people buy the kits and just assume they can just bolt it on and go, which, like in your case, you found out it bogs and only reaches 15 or so. Like Meatball was saying, it's getting a mouth full of fuel and air now, more then what that tiny piston and vacuum can keep up with. A jetting change on both the pilot and the main will fix you right up. Looking at that weird filter, I'd say try covering up one of those orange inlets with some duct tape to improve back pressure then try it without and see if it improves or gets worse.

Edit: Also, quick question, how are you feeding it oil? Pump or premix? Jetting will differ between the 2, gotta head to work, but I'm sure Meatball can take it from here. Good luck.
mraaronptuttle
Noob
Noob

Post by mraaronptuttle »

Thanks for the information. I will see what I can get my hands on locally this week in the form of jets and go from there. I also just got the new Scooter Swap Shop pulley as well. Going to be getting that in.
In regards to oil, I am running premix.
Curious to know what jetting I should be looking to get?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

You'll want to get a kit to try different sizes to see what works for you at a guess maybe a 76. Brandon/Scooter Swap Shop, sells the main Jets you need they are the same ones as the polini CP carb uses. Pilot I believe is standard GY6
mraaronptuttle
Noob
Noob

Post by mraaronptuttle »

Gotcha, Ill get in touch with them as well. Thanks!
mraaronptuttle
Noob
Noob

Post by mraaronptuttle »

After looking around the smallest size main jet I have come upon is an 80. Going to have that here sometime this week, if that doesnt get us up and going decent, I plan on getting the 15mm dellorto PHBG AS carb.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

15mm should do just fine on that stock bore, you can use a 76 max jet without too much trouble.