Advise on building for acceleration

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Re: Advise on building for acceleration

Post by harleyracer59 »

im a bit confused by this thread.. if youre looking for advice on acceleration, why is anyone recommending gears? those gears single handedly shot you acceleration ideas in the foot....
what size tires are you running? on fleabay I found 90/65-10 tube type and tubeless tires. those will give you a wide contact patch for safety and the smaller diameter will give you more take off.
on my pre dio engines I run a zx or gy6 straight grooved pulley,1500-2000 contra springs, after market variator, I don't think I have heavier than 6-6.5 rollers in any of them. my polini has 4.5 my keli has 6g but I think theyre too heavy for my 1500 contra. all of them have light weight clutches w/ red 2000 springs, and I still drill holes in the arms around the pads to delay lock up even more. stock gears in them all. ab07 is 7.8, 87 af05 10.?, (2) 86 af05 11.6? the ab has a 90/90, 87 se 3.0, and the 2 other af05e's have a 80/90 and a 3.0.
instead of buying gears I got taller tires, pretty much the same thing. since you got gears, you might need a smaller diameter tire to recoop that acceleration you wanted. the clutch springs might be holding you back almost as much as those gears though. and the lazy S pulley grooves. you need a straight diagonal cut slider groove it keeps the rpms in the powerband instead of getting to the close to the inside and the pulley "shifting" to high and your rpms dropping. now your engine has to fight to pull to the rpms you were just at a second ago.
those 3 things will get you your acceleration and still give you a little more mph. personally I would get the straight groove pulley light weight clutch w/ 2000 springs and 2000 contra spring clutch bell package. drill a couple more holes in the clutch arms see how it does. id probably do the tire last if I still wanted more.
youre more than welcome to go any route you want, I just don't understand why anyone recommended gears when you specifically asked for max acceleration. that engine can almost hit your target top speed of 50 stock, im just sayin …. idk? :jack:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Meatball wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:55 pm ZX trans...its the shizz
Just get a bigger rear pulley. Also needed to complete the swap is a wider (18mm-ish) belt, a longer (36mm-ish) boss and one of the handy belt cover spacers that SSS sells. For this swap, minor case carving is required to the inner belt area to avoid belt rub. The areas to trim away is well documented with great pictures here in the forum. I have a bunch of ZX pulley kits available if you so desire.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Depends on his definition of “acceleration”. Maybe he’s forgotten to slowly break-in the bore🤔and has a low compression issue? Hopefully this person will perform a compression test and if still good, continue the “tuning” process.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
kosmo
BMX
BMX

Post by kosmo »

you can take off the rear cvt cover on your bike and see when the cvt switches gears. if it does it too early or too late you can put a camera there and see. larger like 1500 spring will make it take longer to upshift. lighter roller weights will also make it take longer to upshift, but you'll have more acceleration. those 3 springs on the clutch pads that you can change change when the bike starts to take off. changes the takeoff rpm. switching upgear makes the belt go from drive small pulley - driven big pulley, to drive large pulley - driven small pulley. and drive is the crankshaft, driven is the rear shaft the clutch is on.