a bigger better battery

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

a bigger better battery

Post by harleyracer59 »

I just swapped batteries in my tg50, nn50, nb50, nq50, sa50, went from a ytx4L-bs to ytx5L-bs battery. went from 3ah to 4ah, while that doesn't seem like much, my lights are brighter, my starter can crank my higher compression big bores, my radios and underglow lights can stay on an hour before getting dim. my other batteries were only 6 months old, but wouldn't start the bbks without kicking to help. the 5 is only 1.6" taller all other dimensions are the same. best upgrade ive done in a minute. especially on the gyros which have no kick starter incase of dead battery... thought id pass the upgrade along. fits like they should have been sold with that size. happy modding!! :peace:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: a bigger better battery

Post by eclark5483 »

I use Battery Tender BTL09A120C 120CCA Lithiums in all mine. The Spree's crank faster and on my daughter's TaoTao, it makes a big difference with that BBK cranking compared to a regular battery. Regular battery, it will crank, but it's kind of slow and weak sounding, with the Lithium battery it cranks fast and starts in like a split second.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Re: a bigger better battery

Post by harleyracer59 »

yeah that's a nice battery but searching that P#, it looks to have been discontinued, and it is/was $120ish for 1 battery. I got a 5 pack of ytx5L-bs batteries for $70 shipped from amazon. that's $14 each battery. yours is 120cca 7.9ah and 25.6wh, the ytx5lbs is 90cca 4 ah and 48wh, the stock ytx4lbs is ???cca 3 ah and 36wh.
while the battery tender battery has a higher cca and ah, its wh is lower. and almost10x the price of the others. while the ytx5lbs and ytx4lbs are comparable within $5-7 dollars of eachother.
I like the 5 series battery a lot and its a huge difference from stock for almost the same money. I guess weve given 2 options for a more reliable stronger better battery. so, there you have it folks, it can be done and you have choices, have at it!