1989 Honda Elite SE50 Mod Suggestions

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

MorePoke2Stroke
Noob
Noob

1989 Honda Elite SE50 Mod Suggestions

Post by MorePoke2Stroke »

I apologise in advance if I'm in the wrong forum or word things in-correctly. I recently purchased two 1989 Honda Elite SE50's and I absolutely love these things. I'm restoring one and customizing the other from the frame up, This post is about the latter. I live in Australia and the scooter modding scene isn't big so their isn't many mod forums let alone old elite forums. I do understand that the SE50 doesn't have many performance modifications but any suggestions would be much appreciated. (Quick Edit: they're the same as the US Elite S so Its unrestricted aswell even though they're 89's.)
{2x 89' Honda Elite SE50} {01' Honda NSR150SP} {87' Honda NSR250R MC16} {92' Suzuki TS200R} {80-82' Yamaha Passola SA50}
{95' Italjet Formula 50}
{94' Cagiva Mito Evo1}

{08' Moto Guzzi Griso} {Moto Guzzi Lario}
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Re: 1989 Honda Elite SE50 Mod Suggestions

Post by harleyracer59 »

the engine is a variated af05e. same engine as the aero 50, vision 50, tact 50 and the Peugeot rapido. there are still plenty of performance parts to be had if you search hard enough on the interweb. stay away from the "performance " cdi and coil items as most are worse quality and performance than the stock items.
ive had good luck with filing a step in the flywheel key to change timing a little. dio ct intake manifolds can be used with an adapter plate or hollowed reed block. 50cc gy6 rear pulleys and clutch sets fit this engine and have many performance options and are relatively cheap. also are a larger diameter which with the proper belt, result in improved take off. gy6, ruckus, metropolitan, and dio variators can be used with the af05e boss. these also have a larger diameter and will result in more top speed. clearancing the the cvt cavity is needed so the larger parts fit without rubbing. no big deal though. big bore cylinders can still be found in Europe if you search for the models I mentioned in the beginning.
exhausts are scarce. youll need to get lucky finding one, spend lots of money at treatsland for an mlm pipe or make your own or modify one to fit. a larger tire will slow take off but result in higher top speed. 90/90-10 will fit, some have fit a 3.50-10. a larger rim should be purchased though if you go with a bigger tire, but me and others have ran these larger tires on the skinny stock rims with no issues.
theres a good bit of info to get you started. if you come across any new info, don't forget to post your findings here to help others that might be interested like you are now. have fun happy new year.
MorePoke2Stroke
Noob
Noob

harleyracer59 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:21 pm the engine is a variated af05e. same engine as the aero 50, vision 50, tact 50 and the Peugeot rapido. there are still plenty of performance parts to be had if you search hard enough on the interweb. stay away from the "performance " cdi and coil items as most are worse quality and performance than the stock items.
ive had good luck with filing a step in the flywheel key to change timing a little. dio ct intake manifolds can be used with an adapter plate or hollowed reed block. 50cc gy6 rear pulleys and clutch sets fit this engine and have many performance options and are relatively cheap. also are a larger diameter which with the proper belt, result in improved take off. gy6, ruckus, metropolitan, and dio variators can be used with the af05e boss. these also have a larger diameter and will result in more top speed. clearancing the the cvt cavity is needed so the larger parts fit without rubbing. no big deal though. big bore cylinders can still be found in Europe if you search for the models I mentioned in the beginning.
exhausts are scarce. youll need to get lucky finding one, spend lots of money at treatsland for an mlm pipe or make your own or modify one to fit. a larger tire will slow take off but result in higher top speed. 90/90-10 will fit, some have fit a 3.50-10. a larger rim should be purchased though if you go with a bigger tire, but me and others have ran these larger tires on the skinny stock rims with no issues.
theres a good bit of info to get you started. if you come across any new info, don't forget to post your findings here to help others that might be interested like you are now. have fun happy new year.
Thanks heaps for that info, it will and has helped heaps. Ive seen some really nice exhausts in Japan but shipping is ridiculous however worth it for a Japanese branded/made exhaust. Do you know if the belly pans/undercowls for these are available still or if someone reproduces them? Once again every now and again I see one in Japan but not recently. I nearly snagged one for $12AU but fell asleep and lost auction. Happy new year too you aswell!
{2x 89' Honda Elite SE50} {01' Honda NSR150SP} {87' Honda NSR250R MC16} {92' Suzuki TS200R} {80-82' Yamaha Passola SA50}
{95' Italjet Formula 50}
{94' Cagiva Mito Evo1}

harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

I pretty much buyee all my light and body panels from probably the same auction sight you are talking about. lol....
I get my run of the mill performance on fleabay USA I find my honda and vespa cylinders and other hard to find parts on fleabay Italy, Germany, and GB. most are usually good prices. I found an af05e stuffy crank a couple months ago and got it for total with shipping 98$ usd. that's in my orange aero that has/had a pinasco cylinder. but I got caught in the rain and had to ride home. so im gonna pull that cylinder inspect everything make sure I don't have any rust on bearings and stuff and try my zeta racing team cylinder have. the pinasco is a 5 port 48.5mm diameter. the zeta is 7 port 47mm diameter. that's not counting exhaust ports. I bought a lot of 6 cylinders for 320 shipped. super deal!!! lol
but theres some even rarer stuff that I wanted and spent a pretty penny for, when I finally found them. you gotta pay to play sometimes.
you think scooter parts can get expensive? try sourcing parts for a 48 harley' panhead or 55 hd k model or a 72 nova or a... you get the picture. lol any and every hobby worth having is gonna cost you. its only money though. ill make more to buy more toys! lol as long as im having fun and enjoying my toys, its worth every cent spent and every hour used.
im gonna start looking at your ebay and see what treasures I can find. sometimes is the thrill of the hunt/chase. lifes short. make sure you enjoy all you can. share what you learn give knowledge because someone was nice enough to give you some at some point. people who are stingy with knowledge irritate me. people thirsty for knowledge motivate me to share and learn more. good luck man post some pics of yourf rides when you get some time. we all love pictures around here!! talk to you later.
MorePoke2Stroke
Noob
Noob

I couldn't agree with you more! Thanks heaps for the help I've taken my engine out and will be researching the parts you mentioned ASAP. I'll definitely post some pics of the 2 wheeled family aswell, Cheers!
{95' Italjet Formula 50}
{94' Cagiva Mito Evo1}