af16 build questions

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

rag
Goped
Goped

Re: af16 build questions

Post by rag »

okay and thanks a bunch, appreciate the input that has been giving
rag
Goped
Goped

Post by rag »

Any ideals on what size roller weights I should go with and is sliders better as that's what I run in my af05 currently, got the keli variator and Malossi ramp plate for the build
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

You should have an assortment of them to fine tune the cvt. I keep 5.0 5.5 6.0 6.5 7.0 on hand and a various mix of other weights. It’s hard to say what’s best for someone else so just start with too heavy and work down to find your preference.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Just like asking what jets to use...its not the same for everyone (or build). Its best to get a roller tuning kit with multiple weights in it. Once youve discovered the desired weight, then buy a good solid set of those.

Also, its possible to mix n match weights! Its what I do most of the time since one single weight just wont do what I need. For example: my ripper build has three 5g and three 5.5g weights...evenly spaced for proper balance of course. My other bike has three 5g and three 6g.

Some people run lighter and heavier but this works for me and how my trans is tuned. Different factors like gears, contra spring, clutch springs, ramp design or variator brand all make subtle changes on how the CVT reacts to rpm’s.

Tuning for deceleration (for me) is tougher than acceleration. When youre slowing down from 60 to 30 going into a corner, you’ll want that vari to downshift so its not a dog when get on it after you straighten out again. Nothings worse than climbing a hill going 25mph because your vari is stuck open in high gear...(roller weight too heavy)
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

Meatball wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:24 pm
Tuning for deceleration (for me) is tougher than acceleration. When youre slowing down from 60 to 30 going into a corner, you’ll want that vari to downshift so its not a dog when get on it after you straighten out again. Nothings worse than climbing a hill going 25mph because your vari is stuck open in high gear...(roller weight too heavy)
meatball, what contra spring are you running? the deceleration issue you describe sounds like too weak of a contra spring. it's main job is to force the belt back out on the rear pulley when rpm and speed drop.
if you still have this issue, try a stronger/stiffer contra and see if it helps with the decal. you might need to up the roller weights .5-1g to get full variation with a stiffer contra.
hope this helps.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

My scoots are dialed..I was simply offering insight to trans tuning and shining light on the point that 0-60 shouldnt be the only focus. I personally think trans tuning is widely overlooked as being the most critical part of how the motor performs. Bolting on gobs of power adders is useless if the CVT isnt taking advantage of every bit of it.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

Meatball wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:10 am My scoots are dialed..I was simply offering insight to trans tuning and shining light on the point that 0-60 shouldnt be the only focus. I personally think trans tuning is widely overlooked as being the most critical part of how the motor performs. Bolting on gobs of power adders is useless if the CVT isnt taking advantage of every bit of it.
I 110% agree with you there. a dialed cvt in a 50cc scooter can sometimes beat a big bored engine with a stock cvt. honda like putting their restriction in the cvt. like the sa50 elite S. the tiny variator with nonexistent ramps is one of the main factors making it a 25mph top speed scoot.