Recent AF16 build

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

inCahoots
Noob
Noob

Recent AF16 build

Post by inCahoots »

Like the title states, I recently finished a full build on an AF16 that's on a 2000 Elite S. I'm having an odd issue which I'm thinking could be led to overfueling/jet too big. Hoping someone can give me guidance as I can't get a hold of SSS.

Here's the breakdown
  • All seals have been Honda bonded
  • Polini Contessa 72cc
  • OEM Needle Bearing
  • Stock Crank
  • NGK Plug
  • Polini 19mm Carb w/144 jet
  • Polini Variator w/ 7 gram rollers
  • Stage 6 Filter
  • Stage 6 Intake
  • Malossi Belt
  • 15/42 (9.8:1) Gears/Final Drive
  • Yellow Contra Spring
  • NCY Clutch Springs
  • NCY Exhaust
  • TFC Clutch Bell
Compression is great, I haven't done a proper leak down test but will this weekend hopefully. The bikes starts on first kick and idles great. I did heat cycle the rings prior to getting on the bike. I get on the bike and it just won't go past 15 at WOT.

Jet too big? I did check the plug and it's dry yet, but I really haven't ridden the bike after it couldn't go past 15 as it took the wind out of my sails.

Anything else you guys can think off to start off at?
Additionally I don't believe overheating to be a factor, I'm in WI and it's been overly cool here.

EDIT: My mistake, the box read 24mm but the carb stamp says 19mm. :eyeroll:
Last edited by inCahoots on Fri May 15, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111

Re: Recent AF16 build

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Congrats on a Tasteful build. Flash 9 is also a Polini iron Contesta, but I retained the stock airbox, stock carb and stock exhaust. It runs close to 60MPH if the wind is just right. That should tell you that a 24mm carburetor is about 10mm too big, since the stock PA is 14mm. I run a 90 main jet in it. I tried a 92 and found it sputtered, burbled and couldn't get out if its own way. Not saying yours won't do just as well once you figure out that your Main is too big, but in my 'sperience the bigger the carb, the tougher it is to tune, especially dialing in take-off and low end. And at the end of it all, a bigger carb generally will not net you more speed. I did run an OKO 24 on Flashes 5-7, but that was on a Corsa 72 and on a Fabrizi 78 with Fabrizi pipe and all the Trimmin's.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

BTW, why did you Honda-Bond "all the seals"? Not generally recommended, and if that includes the head gasket, could be trouble.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
inCahoots
Noob
Noob

Post by inCahoots »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:12 pm Greetings:

BTW, why did you Honda-Bond "all the seals"? Not generally recommended, and if that includes the head gasket, could be trouble.
First let me thank you for responding to this thread so quick, very appreciated.

To your question, this was echoed to me by Brandon at SSS he had advised to apply a very small amount of HB to each seal, short of the rubber seals (Stage 6 intake and filter).

The credit for the part list goes to Brandon. I picked out some of the smaller parts but I went to him with a budget and had him piece it together to help remove the guesswork when it came down to putting it together. I'm a bit surprised to hear the carb is too big.

I'll swap out the big 144. I'll try the one it came with (98 I think?) otherwise the other smallest I have is a 140.
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

I think Im running a 114 MJ in my Polini Corsa with a Pwk24. You should bring that way down. Im assuming this is a Polini CP as the main jet the pwk comes with is larger than 98
1986 Aero White -- Stock With Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af05 Malossi BBK + Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
inCahoots
Noob
Noob

Post by inCahoots »

Alright so I got off the phone with the new guy (Paul) at SSS. I emailed them for a follow up. What it's looking like is they sent me the wrong Polini main jet kit, I was sent a 140-158 kit and was supposed to get a 100-118 kit.

Additionally I made a mistake by going by what the Polini box said, the box reads 24mm carb but the actual stamp on the carb says 19mm
nateberrier wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:56 pm I think Im running a 114 MJ in my Polini Corsa with a Pwk24. You should bring that way down. Im assuming this is a Polini CP as the main jet the pwk comes with is larger than 98
It is a CP. Sounds like all signs are pointing to overfueling/jet too big.

I'll keep the thread updated as I get new info. I'll even post pictures afterwards.
inCahoots
Noob
Noob

Post by inCahoots »

Update!

I swapped out the 144 jet and installed a 100. Ran it a few miles (it’s flying), checked the plug (brown color) and it’s been running amazing!

When I fully put it back together I’ll get those pictures up.
inCahoots
Noob
Noob

Post by inCahoots »

Just wanted to jump back in here because of a new development. I've been fouling plugs, at this point it's safe to assume that even 100 is too big? It is a wet foul, not a dry.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Post what NGK plug youre running. Also, the round CP’s tend to like smaller jets than the flat PWK’s. As you lower the jet sizes, keep close watch on the temps. The rule I use is: 370 is concerning but ok all day, 380 is the danger zone, 390 you better let off....400+ youre walking.

Once you get it dialed to sit at 370 or under you can let her eat. My hot bike only creeps up to 380+ when I beat the heII out of it or long wot hill climbs. Long flat runs holding wide open for 10minutes spinning over 10k sits about 365-370.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
inCahoots
Noob
Noob

Post by inCahoots »

BR8HS are the plugs I’ve been picking up.

Thanks for the jet tips, I’ll keep an close eye on temps as I size down, now that I have some time to look at it this weekend. I’ll keep the thread updated.

Thanks meatball
inCahoots
Noob
Noob

Post by inCahoots »

To prevent from this from being a dead end thread I wanted to update it with the solution.

I took out the seat and looked at how I had the lines from the carb and intake to the oil pump and the petcock and had things a little messed up. I had a vacuum line from the carb to the oil pump which was dumping oil into the carb and foaling the plug like crazy, or that's what I'm thinking is what happened.

Anyways the bike is pretty dialed in, just messing with roller weights but everything is great. The bike hauls *, now I want to throw a BBK on my Prebug Zuma.

Thanks guys for the help!