Honda spree engine swap questions

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Andre_nifty50
Noob
Noob

Honda spree engine swap questions

Post by Andre_nifty50 »

Hey guys I’m from Australia and new to modifying these scooters. I’ve had an 85 (nq50) nifty fifty (spree) for a while and just recently bought an elite (se50m) with the variated AF05e engine.
From reading all the forums and doing some research the last few days it looks like the conversion is pretty straight forward

Shorten the elite motor mount to fit into spree frame
Cut spree frame tab off
Drill engine mount hole from 10mm to 12mm
Mount new upper shock bolt
Use elite throttle and brake cable
Use Bullet connectors to make wiring work (colour to colour)

Is there anything else important I am missing..

A few answers I’m after are as follows.

What do you do with the carby on the elite engine as It has two fuel lines and the spree only has one coming from the fuel tap?

Do you press the bushes out of the elite engine mount, cut the mount and crush tube inside and then re insert bushes or just cut the mount as it ?
Do the bushes even push out from one side ?

Is there a specific measurement for how much to cut off each side of mount or just until the engine mount tab is central to frame hole ??

Is there a specific spot for upper shock mount all I’m working with is a couple screenshots of a video I watched on YouTube.

Where can I find the rubber bump stop on engine mount that goes on the tab that locates into the frame ( is this a necessary item, my elite didn’t come with one…)

Does anyone have tried and tested air filters/restrictors to suit carb and also some jetting specs? From what I’ve read you can’t fit spree plastics over the stock elite airbox ??

Thanks ✌️
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Honda spree engine swap questions

Post by Meatball »

Do not drill out the engine mount hole. Use the 10mm engine bolt and simply insert spacers into each mount bushing. The alignment pins for the belt cover work perfectly for this.

The three mounts that Ive cut, I just left the rubber bushing in and cut it in place. The one side you cut to the weld and dont cut the weld off…you need that. The other side youre just cutting off the nipple of the bushing that pokes out so it fits in the frame. Not cutting any of the larger tube that houses the bushing….just the nipple!

Weld in a shock relocation tab like the one ScooterSwapShop sells or make your own. https://scooterswapshop.com/collections ... ck-tab-kit

Good idea to grab an extender also. All they have is a 40mm but I use a 60mm one purchased elsewhere. https://scooterswapshop.com/products/st ... a25d&_ss=r

Rubber bump stop. Its not absolutely vital but running without one makes a nasty vibration you feel in your feet and hands. Do yourself a favor and find one. Hands go numb after 5 minutes.

Carby with two fuel lines? If theres a second hose coming from the carby going to nothing, its the float bowl vent.
If the needle seat leaks, fuel will dribble out of that line, fairly fast I might add. It connects nowhere and I usually just remove it.

I use an angled pod filter made by UNI. Get one that fits the carby mouth. It must be restricted in some way for the motor to be happy. I use the butt half of a water bottle to cap the filter and drill some small holes in it. The correct amount/size of the holes is something you’ll have to play with to get right. I think six tiny holes poked with a soldering iron worked for mine. My buddy even used a beer can once.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

There still may be plastic trimming needed to the rear mudflap because the tire is further back. Also the plastic body panel on the muffler side. Not sure about fitment of Australian models but US models needed it. The muffler makes contact with the body plastic when you sit on the scoot and compress the shock. Hit a bump and hear a crunch. Take a guess how I know this.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Andre_nifty50
Noob
Noob

Post by Andre_nifty50 »

Great! Thanks for the reply Meatball.

When the elite mount is bolted up to spree frame, should the tab be central in the tube ? (Like is that what I’m aiming for)

As for the carby on the elite there is two lines coming from the fuel petcock- I’m assuming one is fuel supply- is the other one like a vac line or something to make the petcock work?

On my spree there is only one line coming from fuel tap- it doesn’t have a petcock.

Good idea with the curt water bottle- did you have to change jetting or just kept Stock?

Also with the shock adapter from SSS is this for using spree shock or elite ?
I have both, so which one would be the best suited?

Thanks a lot ✌️
Damn3dged
Noob
Noob

Post by Damn3dged »

Hey Andre,

Did you ever get this project completed?
kstonge1986
Noob
Noob

Post by kstonge1986 »

Here’s what my se50 mount looks like. And I went with the SSS weld on upper shock mount also.
DF49EB63-70CB-4FF1-AC5B-AC9E184CAD39.jpeg
DF49EB63-70CB-4FF1-AC5B-AC9E184CAD39.jpeg (99.8 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
6AEF12E7-CBFD-4EBA-9EBE-3DA35171BC08.jpeg
6AEF12E7-CBFD-4EBA-9EBE-3DA35171BC08.jpeg (101.53 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Previously kevinstonge 8)