Gearing Ratio for Honda Dio SK50MY (AF27)

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

j4m1.son
Noob
Noob

Gearing Ratio for Honda Dio SK50MY (AF27)

Post by j4m1.son »

Hey there, :newb: to the group. Need some assistance.

I recently did a Big Bore kit to my Honda Dio AF27 before doing my research, and now I realize I need to redo the Gearing Ratio to get my power. It went from a 50cc to a 72cc Melossi Big Bore. Surfing online I haven't gotten a straight answer, I read I should go between 16x42 or 16x36, some say 17x41, haven't came up conclusive. So figured I'd ask the community. I'm trying to get the most speed while still having fast acceleration. I read about lifters being swapped as well to improve acceleration but that came unconclusive.

Essentially what I'm trying to figure out is what should I do to the Transfer Case/Transmission to get best speed for acceleration without breaking the bank wide open. I'm open to all ideas because I don't know a ton about scooter modding minus the basics. Thanks in advance!
The IRS hasn't found me yet...
mainly because they have no reason to.
bonesv

Re: Gearing Ratio for Honda Dio SK50MY (AF27)

Post by bonesv »

9:1 is the best all-around gearing for AF18/AF16 motors IMO. You can find em for less than $70-80. The stock gears are about 12:1 so if you change the secondary gears(which are easiest and have the most variety to find) look for 16*41 or 16*42 secondaries for the 8.9:1 or 9.1:1 unless you live where there are big hills then you got a problem. There are no "lifters" on these 2 strokes that I know of :crazy: Primary gears in the Dio are rare to find the best ones for everyday-just-riding around-town - so I always use secondaries and the price is better too.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
j4m1.son
Noob
Noob

Post by j4m1.son »

bonesv wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:28 pm 9:1 is the best all-around gearing for AF18/AF16 motors IMO. You can find em for less than $70-80. The stock gears are about 12:1 so if you change the secondary gears(which are easiest and have the most variety to find) look for 16*41 or 16*42 secondaries for the 8.9:1 or 9.1:1 unless you live where there are big hills then you got a problem. There are no "lifters" on these 2 strokes that I know of :crazy: Primary gears in the Dio are rare to find the best ones for everyday-just-riding around-town - so I always use secondaries and the price is better too.
Okay, thanks for the info. Like I said I read something about lifters but had no idea. As for problems with hills, what would I expect to see for issues? Just drops in speed, or something mechanically worse? It wouldn't be a problem for 90% of my driving but getting to work I have to climb some. I did some more reading and also saw something about Lighter Rollers, do you know anything about that?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

You will need to read up on "tuning the cvt" that's where the roller weights are and the variator and clutch springs and........ :thumbwink:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
j4m1.son
Noob
Noob

Post by j4m1.son »

bonesv wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:19 am You will need to read up on "tuning the cvt" that's where the roller weights are and the variator and clutch springs and........ :thumbwink:
Thanks for that, gonna order in some clutch springs and a new Contra as well as some lighter rollers. Do you know of any shops that sell them for a reasonable price or am I gonna have to spend a ton of money importing it from Italy or something :lol: