Electronic conversion for a Spree anyone?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Heni
Noob
Noob

Electronic conversion for a Spree anyone?

Post by Heni »

Has any smarty done an e-conversion for a Spree yet? Any ideas on the cheapest easiest ways? I see one motorbike modification just entailed a new rear frame that used the old suspension spring and bolts with the battery slotted in where the oil pump, motor, exhaust etc was. It had a rear wheel motor hub like a bicycle e-conversion. The controller attached to the petrol tank that was used for the other bits and bobs. The kit came plug and play with new throttle controls etc. Really easy set up. There are a few YT sites in other languages where scooters are converted. One was selling welded up rear fork/frames to fit the wheel, suspension, battery and bolt. It could be a great side hustle selling kits or that frame. The Alibaba kit was about $800 (maybe more) so not really cheap enough as yet, but his was made to order. But a DIY for an under 50cc scooter that wouldn't need a huge battery could be doable if your motor, exhaust, carb, oil pump, starter motor is poked and you want to have some fun. The hub motors come in various sizes for tyre sizes. I think 10" was the closest. The guy loved his and said kits would get cheaper if there was a demand. So Spreekers, it would be great for those with frames lying around. Keep us posted.
motormike

Re: Electronic conversion for a Spree anyone?

Post by motormike »

I've seen a few "mopeds" (not scooters) that have been converted.
Makes sense to start with a bike that already has a swingarm instead of an engine case that serves as swingarm.
Much less to engineer.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Heni
Noob
Noob

Post by Heni »

And it would have to be cheap given there are lots of cool e-rides coming onto the market for around $1000 US. Batteries etc should get cheaper and cheaper with better range but it would probably always be for a short distance commute. The Spree turned in to stand up scooter is the only fun modification I've seen. Would need to be a bored welder with a dead Spree in the garage.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The cost and time invested makes it hard to justify. Theres plenty of e-scoots on the market to choose from. Likely cheaper than a conversion would cost. Save yourself the headache and buy a turnkey”ready to ride” scoot.

Fyi: I just upgraded the battery on my e-bike to a 52v 30ah and it was $799. With the 750watt motor, display and motor controller it was over $1500. Thats just buying the parts and doing the work myself. This upgrade is pretty tame compared to the $4000 option. Seriously…just buy an e-scoot if you really want to go that route.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

projects galore :nerd: